It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC "resolution states" only editable during transitions?

Gwen Thomas (4134) | asked Oct 29 '13, 2:06 p.m.
 I am customising a Work Item Workflow, and I would like to use the resolution sub-states, however they are only editable during a transition and not while the workitem is in a state. Is there no way to make this attribute editable while the work item is in a state?

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 03 '13, 10:41 a.m. | edited Nov 03 '13, 10:55 a.m.

but.. did you work on this workitem after it was closed, to come up with the new resolution state?
if you did, did you re-open it while you worked on it? if not, then you cheated the team velocity.   this kills plans, and makes agile a real bear. (this is why waterfall has so much trouble).

if you didn't work on it after the workitem was closed, how did you come up with the new proposed state?
just make it up some morning after coffee? (I know that is the extreme sentence, but I want it to make you think.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 03 '13, 11:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'll answer from my own perspective ... someone picks the wrong resolution code (e.g. "Invalid" rather than "Works for Me").   You just want to correct that resolution code, but do not want to invoke all the machinery around re-opening and re-resolving the work item in order to just change the incorrect resolution code.

sam detweiler commented Nov 03 '13, 2:46 p.m.

well, then you also hid the fact that the wrong resolution was picked and can't find it from reporting properly.  I know, its a pita, but quality depends on the data being accurate.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 03 '13, 4:34 p.m.

In what sense are you "hiding the fact that the wrong resolution was picked" ... that fact is available in the history of the work item, and the more cumbersome technique of re-opening the work item, and then instantly re-resolving with the correct resolution produces the exact same state in the database.  An advantage of directly fixing the resolution is that it makes it clear that you weren't reopening the work item to do more work on it ... you are just fixing the resolution.

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 03 '13, 10:09 a.m.
I agree that one should be able to do this.  I've submitted work item Allow changing the resolution of a work item without re-opening that work item (288013) to request that this be supported.  Feel free to add a comment to this work item or open an RFE on developer works to indicate your interest/support.

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Oct 29 '13, 3:09 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The resolution can be editable in any transition by selecting the 'show resolution' button in your workflow configuration. However, this cannot be edited unless the work item is in transition between two states.

If you want to have a similar field which is editable regardless of transition, I would recommend creating a enumeration with the options you want and adding it into the editor presentation Header, next to "Workflow State".

Keep in mind that if you are editing an out of box editor presentation, it may affect other work item types as well (if the presentation is shared).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.