It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Strong changes in RTC productive project area

Juan Manuel Arriaza Vergara (323) | asked Oct 29 '13, 11:47 a.m.
Hi,

I need to make strong changes in workitems, workflows, fields in a RTC project area that is in a production server. Which is the best way to implement a test project area before commiting the changes? And then, how can I implement these changes to the production server?

Thanks¡
Juan Manuel

Accepted answer

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Oct 29 '13, 11:58 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can export your current process template and create a new project area based on that process template. This new project area can be on a test RTC instance, or even on your production instance (set the access control so only you or other administrators can see the project area so you don't confuse your users).

In this new project area, you can make all the necessary changes to your configuration. Once complete, you can then make the changes in the production project area.
You will need to synchronize the existing work items to ensure they are changed to reflect your new process.

Keep in mind that your workflow will need a logical state. For example:
If all work items are currently in state A, and you want to remove state A -> all work items need to be moved out of state A before you remove it. If you remove state A when work items are still in that state, they won't be able to move into a new state and will be stuck.
Juan Manuel Arriaza Vergara selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Juan Manuel Arriaza Vergara commented Oct 29 '13, 1:23 p.m.

Ok, I get it. But is there a easier way to replicate the changes in the test project area to the production project are? Some kind of exportation?

Thanks in advance.
JM

Stephanie Bagot commented Oct 29 '13, 1:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can't re-import the process template since this isn't a current feature.
You could copy over the XML, but this is not supported and we highly recommend against it.
The safest way is to make the changes one by one and save the project area - that way you can back out of each change by reverting the process template (should something go wrong).

Juan Manuel Arriaza Vergara commented Oct 29 '13, 1:55 p.m.

Oops¡ Thanks  Stephanie ¡

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 02 '13, 12:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 13 '14, 7:39 p.m.
I recommend using a separate project area (e.g. "MPA") as your "master project area".   To use a master project area, for a new project area, create the new project area with the "Unconfigured Process" template.   Then specify in the new project area that you want to share the process of the master project area.   When you are interested in upgrading the process configuration, export the existing master project area into a process template, and then create a new master project area (e.g. "MPA2") from that process template, and work with it until you think it is good.  Then go to a project area that you want to upgrade, and change it to share MPA2.   If something isn't working right, you can just switch back to MPA.

Now for your existing project area that wasn't original created to share its process from a master project area:
- Export the existing process configuration into a process template, and create the master project area from that template.  Now go into the source of your process configuration, and update the XML to be that of an Unconfigured Process (you can find that XML in the Process Configuration Source tab of the Unconfigured Process template), and then make your project area "share" the process from the master project area you just created.   Verify that everything is working fine (if anything is acting strangely, you can just go into your Process Configuration Source tab and restore your original XML from the process source history).

Comments
frederick carter commented Sep 13 '14, 12:28 p.m. | edited Sep 13 '14, 12:42 p.m.

questions:

1.why do you use the term "master process area" ?  don't  you really  mean "master Project area " ? 

2. regarding your comment "Now go into the source of your process configuration, and update the XML to be that of an Unconfigured Process,  and then make your project area "share" the process from the master process project area you just created. " 

Wouldn't that possibly change or affect  existing work items  in the existing project area ?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 13 '14, 7:25 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree that "master project area" is the better phrase to use for conversations like this, so I'll revise my answer to use that term ("process area" is the superclass of "project area" and "team area", but it is currently primarily used by the Java API).
WRT existing work items, if you create a master project area from a template created from the existing project area, then all of the metadata and schema used by the work items would stay the same, so the existing work items would not be affected.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.