It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Training Material and Principle of Working

Radio Pizza (2126) | asked Oct 29 '13, 7:19 a.m.
edited Nov 04 '13, 6:11 p.m. by Stephanie Taylor (24115)
After playing with this tool I am still not get its purpose/functionality/principle . . . and if I do not get it as Rational Administrator, how do you expect that an end-user gets it? 

On a note to my last sentence, more and more end users are coming to me, after a training, asking touching questions like: "How does JAZZ really work? Which is its philosophy principle? How do I make it working in my environment?" etc etc etc . . . . For example as ClearCase Administrator I find jazz-ccm <extremely> confusing, how do I compare it with ClearCase-ClearQuest or another Versioning control like SVN and GIT?

I have also been in a couple of meetings where the Organisation pushed the use of JAZZ, but Developers and Business Analyst alike did not find any advantage. I don't know the people out there but this is my bitter reality. 

I honestly do not care about marketing buzz words like "reporting"; "collaboration"; "cloud"; "sprint"; "team invitation"  . . . . those do not make a product worth to be purchased or to be technical viable if there is no real application and/or replacement of an existing procedure . . . . sorry

The official training and paper materials provided are confusing and led me nowhere, just more dead ends. Is there, somewhere, someone, even AN  UNOFFICIAL paper/training/principle/ worth to read? Sorry I got bored searching through-out the blog, maybe it is there, maybe not, but if this has been answered and the topics covered please refer them to me I would be in your debt!

Cheers

4 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 02 '13, 11:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you have experience with ClearCase, you probably will find the "Rational Team Concert concepts for Rational ClearCase users" help page useful:
https://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/topic/com.ibm.team.connector.scm.cc.doc/topics/c_mapping.html

permanent link
Lisa Caten (342913) | answered Nov 01 '13, 12:31 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are 2 training courses that might be of interest to you. They cover many of the specific actions you asked about:
Jazz Team Server V4.0 Administration and Configuring Projects in IBM Rational Team Concert V4.0

permanent link
jason green (1463) | answered Oct 29 '13, 2:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, first off, thanks Ralph for calling out the IBMRationalUE YouTube channel.

Secondly, I sympathize with the confusion that can arise from the mixture and frequency of buzz words and lack of absolutely precise explanation that can happen, at times, with some of our products. 

That was part of the inspiration for the creation of the IBMRational User Education YouTube channel. 

I would encourage you to go to the User Education YouTube channel and click on the magnifying glass icon on the channel's main page to search for the specific concepts you are interested in learning about. 

You could also simply modify the search query link that I provided just above. 

We in User Technologies tag our video assets on YouTube very specifically so that you can easily find what you are looking for. Also, if you have a question on a particular video, do not hesitate to post a comment on it and we will respond to the best of our ability; please feel free to request a video in a certain space in your comment, if you so desire. 

And lastly, note that you can create your own YouTube user account and simply add our videos to your own personal, custom playlist(s), for added control and convenience.

Thanks very much,

Jason Green,
IBM Rational UT Media Lead 

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 29 '13, 7:51 a.m.

Hi, the product pages on Jazz.net provide videos and overviews about the features:

https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/#features
https://jazz.net/products/rational-quality-manager/#features
https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/#features

The library provides workshops and other interesting information e.g. here for SCM, including an article describing RTC SCM and comparing it to several other products.
https://jazz.net/library/#sort=pubDate&tag=scm

Youtube has a bunch of videos that you can also use.
https://www.youtube.com/user/IBMJazz
https://www.youtube.com/user/IBMRationalUE

In General Jazz is a platform that uses REST links between items (oslc), to bridge the gap between domains, rather than replicating data. The applications are specialized for their domain, but are designed to work together using linking. Jazz SCM is designed for more agile purposes and optimized for WAN using HTTPS. It is more lightweigt and uses optimistic approaches versus ClearCase pessimistic locking, which also adds to better performance. However, it provides the users with their own SCM environment (repository workspace) as a sandbox (call it developer branch) but enables them to work together on streams, deciding when tehy want to integrate changes.

Comments
Radio Pizza commented Oct 30 '13, 9:14 a.m. | edited Nov 02 '13, 11:38 a.m.
Thank you for your effort in making this clear. I appreciate it

I did follow one corse, it was version 2.0, now it's 4.0.5 still I cannot not get the "principles" behind CCM of JAZZ. It is also true that I am not using the tool and if you allow me, it is for good reasons. Someone tried to explain to me the model and despite that <is not a fluid concept> and I still not make "Heads & Tails" about how to use. 

I am not tick, as someone may think, IBM was impressed by some work I did on some clients environments with ClearCase and ClearQuest and the representative asked me whether I was interested in writing a paper about it.

The videos are nice, but those IMHO add more confusion, sorry . . . click here . . . click there . . . does not help. I can do that myself thanks! 

Is someone able to explain how to:

- Create repository: who, how, when, where 
- Create access:  who, how, when, where  
- Join repository:  who, how, when, where   
- Create components: who, how, when, where 
- Add artifacts: who, how, when, where 
- Check-Out & Check-In: who, how, when, where 
- Baseline: who, how, when, where 
- Stream (I believe they exist?): who, how, when, where 
- Conflicts (do they exist? I think so): who, how, when, where 
- Method of development: Parallel? Serial? Waterflow? V-Model? Random? Just dump the code someone takes care of it?
- . . . . . . . . . .

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 30 '13, 9:49 a.m. | edited Nov 02 '13, 11:38 a.m.

The problem with your question above is, you use a terminology that does not quite fit. Are you talking about RTC SCM, or RTC/Jazz in general?

I would strongly suggest to at least read through the different sections of the features: https://jazz.net/products/rational-team-concert/#features to understand the basic concepts and terminology.

Create Repository:
I am not sure what this relates to. If you talk about the Databases: This would be done by an Admin when installing the APPs. 

If you talk about RTC SCM and repository workspaces, any user with the permission to do so can create as many as required for themselves. If users don't have the permission any other user with permission could do that for them.

Create Access: A bit of a simplification. Access to what? Typically done by an Admin for a project area or a Jazz Admin in a different context.

Join Repository: Maybe you talk about LDAP sync? This would be done by LDAP admin and synced in automatically or by user.

In other contexts - user - we talk about project areas and joining one: a project admin or role with the permission to do so can add users to project areas/team areas. The user can get an invitation and can access the area immediately.

Create Component: If you talk about SCM components, anyone with the proper permissions can create them. You can limit who is allowed to. This is typically a conscious decision. The usual user would just use the components from a stream in their repository workspace.

Add Artifacts: To what again, what ype of artifact? In SCM context, a new file for example would be created by a user and checked into the repository workspace and later delivered to the stream. Other artifacts can be created by users with the proper access to the tools and role based permissions.

Check-Out & Check-In: There is no check out in RTC so far. The user would load the desired repository workspace to disk and can then access and change files, check them into his repository workspace and finally deliver it to the stream. RTC is not that different to CC. Think "Private Branch"  if talking about repository workspace and assume Snapshot views without checkout for Loaded Repository Workspaces.

Baseline: Again, anyone who has permission to do so can create one.

Stream: Is similar to a CC integration Stream/Branch. Anyone who has permission can create one. Users flow their repository workspaces against them. Sinmilar to deliver to a CC stream.

Conflicts: Can arise, therefore we need humans to do development. Detected between repository workspace and stream by the tool. Merging similar to CC. If you accept, integrate, deliver often, the likely hood of conflicts is reduces.

Method of development: Any one you mentioned, but really today optimized for agile and iterative devlopment.

Radio Pizza commented Oct 30 '13, 10:05 a.m. | edited Oct 30 '13, 10:09 a.m.

Nice! Thanks for that! We get somewhere, I get note and I will do my homework

Cheers!

jason green commented Oct 30 '13, 11:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

That's a good point. I will share this with others in user training. It seems you want a walkthrough of the very creation of all the pieces of the RTC program, from scratch. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.