It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are archived catagories still showing up in Filed Against field?

Tim Fuller (471328) | asked Oct 28 '13, 10:03 a.m.

Archived Catagories in RTC (4.0.3) are still showing up in the Filed Against field when starting new Work Items. They even move from within the dropdown list to the top of the list after being archived. Very confusing to new users.  Tried re-assigning any work items previously assigned to that catagory to another catagory and the archived catagory still shows up in the dropdown list.

Is this expected behavior? How can I get archived Catagories NOT to show up in new work items.

2 answers

permanent link
Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | answered Oct 29 '13, 4:58 a.m.
Hi Tim,

didn't recheck this behavior on 4.0.4 - have to do it - I can give you a small hint how to get rid of those categories.
Just create an empty team where no people sit in and restrict the visibility of the category to this team.

Any other team won't be able to see those categories.

Note: this is just a workaround. If this is really the way the categories appear this is a Defect - my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Simon

permanent link
Tim Fuller (471328) | answered Oct 30 '13, 10:25 a.m.

Thanks Simon.  Great insight.

Another possibility is the default set by the Formal Template.  I noticed that the Formal Template sets the default Filed Against to "Catagory 1."  When Catagory 1 is UN-archived it appears in the Filed Against dropdown in the normal order.  When Catagory 1 is archived, it still shows up in the Filed Against attribute as the default, in what I was describing as at the "top of the list." 

I was able to test this by renaming Catagory 1 to Catagory 3.  Catagory 3 then had the expected behavior of not appearing in the Filed Against list when it was archived.

I'd be curious to know what the reasoning is behind having the default catagory still show up even after it's archived.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.