It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What's the fastest way to chug through an RTC code merge?

Kevin Dunphy (1645) | asked Oct 25 '13, 12:09 p.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 1:22 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
I frequently have to chug through some manual code merges that involve a large number of changes.  I'd like to quickly be able to jump to the next diff, and quickly "Copy from Right to Left", without taking my eyes off the comparison editor.  Keyboard shortcuts seem like the obvious way to do this, but there might be others... 

"Select Next Change" is available on General -> Keys, but not "Select Next Difference".  Each Difference may contain several Changes, so sometimes it takes half-a-dozen "Next Changes" to get to the "Next Difference."

"Copy from Right to Left" is available in the Keys dialog...  perhaps this is also following the same distinction between Changes and Differences...  but it wasn't behaving like I expected it to.  (I also had an issue this morning where, in some cases, the control in the middle of the blue line, that offers the Copy Right to Left action, did not go away after clicking the button...  so I'm unclear just what the problem with the keystroke was -- but it didn't behave like I expected it to.

To move the mouse from the "Next Difference" button to the control in the middle of the blue line, requires taking my eyes off the compare editor.  Even to wiggle the half-inch between "next diff" and "copy right to left" is unreliable without looking.  (I wiggle too far right and wind up going to the previous instead of next diff... so far I haven't accidentally copied all instead of copy selected, but I could see that too.)

Is there some other easy way to quickly go through a large set of "next , next, next, next, copy, next, copy, next next next, copy, next next..." ?

One answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Oct 25 '13, 1:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Check your key preferences in the Eclipse client. You can assign keyboard shortcuts to those actions. If you filter on "compare" you can see the different actions you can bind to a shortcut.

Comments
Kevin Dunphy commented Oct 25 '13, 1:54 p.m.

I'm using RTC 4.0.3 - I see "next change" but not "next difference" in the set of commands to which I'm allowed to assign a key binding.  Do I need a different RTC plugin? 

Kevin Dunphy commented Oct 25 '13, 1:56 p.m.

Hm. I tried to attach a screen shot but it doesn't seem to have taken...

Tim Mok commented Oct 25 '13, 2:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

"Select Next Change" is the command that you are looking for. The compare commands are built-in with Eclipse and RTC relies on it. RTC doesn't implement anything for comparing files.

Kevin Dunphy commented Oct 25 '13, 2:31 p.m.

Maybe I need a different Eclipse version... or maybe there's a better choice than key bindings... 

Anybody else out there in jazz-land got something that works well for you?

I'll start poking around eclipse land too...  Thanks tim...

Tim Mok commented Oct 25 '13, 2:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not sure what level of difference you want to cycle through but that command is the same as the button in the compare editor.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.