It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding Effort To Defects

Patrick Paquette (371219) | asked Oct 11 '13, 1:01 p.m.
edited Oct 16 '13, 2:28 p.m.
We want to be able to size our defects that don't get fixed in a given iteration so they can get planned like our stories.  So, I thought adding the Effort attribute to the Defect type would do it, but it still doesn't drive the velocity or story points charts.

Is there a way to make all the reports and such look at defects as well as stories for the reports that use effort (velocity, story points per iteration, etc)?  I'm thinking making Defect a planning item but before I do I want to check here first if this is the right move...

The alternative I'm thinking is linking defects to new Stories, but that seems like duplication...

Accepted answer

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Oct 11 '13, 6:07 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would recommend linking the defects to the stories to accurately track them, as you mentioned.

Otherwise you are correct - you will have to configure Defect as a planning Item in your project area.
Patrick Paquette selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Patrick Paquette commented Oct 16 '13, 2:31 p.m.

That's what I figured - we'll do that, thanks Stephanie.

One other answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Oct 12 '13, 11:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 HI Patrick 
Have you tried using the Estimate and time spent build in attributes of the work items.
The velocity and burn down reports read the data from this attribute.

Comments
Patrick Paquette commented Oct 16 '13, 2:31 p.m.

I was actually more concerned with Effort charts (velocity, story points per iteration) - I mentioned burn down in my original question (I've since edited it) because I forgot that burndown was based on hours and not points.  So, I've tried Estimate and time spent and they are not used for these reports (but you are right in that it is used for the burndown chart).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.