It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 4.0.4 zOS SMPE install error mounting filesystem ABLZHFS

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Oct 08 '13, 7:38 a.m.
retagged Oct 17 '13, 8:07 a.m. by Steve Dearth (2212)
At one step in the install instructions of the program directory job BLZALLOC  is run to create the target and distribution datasets including ABLZHFS. When I tried to mount the ABLZHFS filesystem with the following command I get the error indicated. Any ideas??

MOUNT FILESYSTEM('RTCV404.ABLZHFS') TYPE(HFS) MOUNTPOINT('/usr/lpp/jazz/v4.0.4') MODE(RDWR)

I get the following error

BPXF135E RETURN CODE 00000080, REASON CODE EF096056

A google search points to an apar that we need but we are on zOS 1.13 and this apar is for releases prior to 1.11

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1OA23322

This was the iefbr14  "command" that created the HFS file

//ABLZHFS  DD DSN=&HLQ..ABLZHFS,      
 //            UNIT=SYSALLDA,          
 //            VOL=SER=&DVOL,          
 //            DISP=(NEW,&DSP),        
 //            RECFM=VB,               
 //            LRECL=8796,             
 //            BLKSIZE=0,              
 //            SPACE=(CYL,(2000,100,10))

Update:

We were able to get around the roadblock by deleting the ABLZHFS dataset that was created by BLZALLOC job and then re-creating it with the additional parameter of DSNTYPE=HFS. After that we were able to mount it. We also noticed that even though we created it with recfm=vb  it shows as refcm=u on a tso display.

It appears that the SMPE BLZALLOC job needs to be corrected. It might also help to add a sample MOUNT command as well.

Comments
Ravikanth Chavali commented Aug 27 '14, 10:57 p.m. | edited Aug 27 '14, 10:58 p.m.

Thank you! I ran into the same issue.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Steve Dearth (2212) | answered Oct 08 '13, 11:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Donald,

HLQ.ABLZHFS isn't an HFS, and can't be mounted under USS. It's an SMP/E distribution PDS.

In order to install the product on z/OS, you will need to either use an existing USS filesystem, or allocate and mount a filesystem (HFS or ZFS) to use as the installation target. Please see section "6.1.13 Allocate File system Paths" of the Program Directory for more information.

Steve
Donald Poulin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donald Poulin commented Oct 08 '13, 12:27 p.m.

I followed that section closely - very confusing - so what is the purpose of creating the ABLZHFS dataset ?  The documentation implies that you can alter the total allocation size if you are not installing some of the FMIDs which leads one to believe that is  the filesystem to be mounted.

I essentially did what you stated by re-creating it as an HFS dataset. Should I not use that dataset?

One other answer

permanent link
Steve Dearth (2212) | answered Oct 08 '13, 1:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When installing through SMP/E, you have two sets of libraries. The distribution library, which the ABLZHFS PDS is part of, contains all of the elements that are used as input for your system. One of the important functions of the distribution libraries is as backup. ABLZHFS contains backups of the distributed software that can be restored should a serious error occur in the elements of your production system.

The reason that section 6.1.12 discusses the size of ABLZHFS is that if only a subset of product FMIDs are installed, the larger allocation specified in BLZALLOC isn't required. Please don't modify the type of data set allocated for ABLZHFS. It has "HFS" in the name because it contains bits that will end up in a USS filesystem, and will possibly be used to back them up when maintenance is applied.

Target libraries contain all of the executable code of your system. You need to use standard mechanisms for allocating and mounting a USS filesystem as part of the target environment. Most of the jobs we ship default to /usr/lpp/jazz/<version>. 

Section 5.2.3 of the PD specifies that you'll need somewhere in the range of 70500 tracks in either an HFS or ZFS to use as your USS target. This size will vary depending on the FMIDs installed.

All of this means that you shouldn't be using any of the distribution data sets as your USS filesystem. You should allocate the distribution data sets as specified in BLZALLOC. 

Before you can proceed past section 6.1.13, you need to determine where in the USS filesystem you want the product binaries to be installed. It can be an existing location on within the hierarchical filesystem, or a newly created FS. You then use this new location throughout the rest of the installation process.

Comments
Donald Poulin commented Oct 10 '13, 7:47 a.m.

Thanks for the details. This was my first SMPE install and it was a bit confusing around this point. We ended up creating a ZFS filesystem and that worked fine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.