It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Link Test Case Result to Story

Patrick Paquette (371219) | asked Oct 03 '13, 1:30 p.m.
edited Oct 08 '13, 8:58 a.m.

Is it possible to somehow automatically link the most recent test case execution record result (from quality manager) to a user story?  As part of our acceptance criteria, we link to one or more test cases and when they all pass, thats when we're allowed to transition to done (there may be other criteria, but this is one of them).  However, in a subsequent iteration, that test case may be executed again and fail.  It seems that the story (from the previous iteration) will show the most recent test result of that test case, even though now it's failing in the new iteration.  From an auditing perspective, we'd prefer for it to show the test result used to determine that it was part of being done (Definition of Done), otherwise someone demonstrating to an auditor may get confused thinking "hey, this was done but the test case failed..."

What would be the best way to do this now?  I'm thinking to associate the test result by using the "affects test result" link, but I don't think that is what it was intended for.  Also, you have to search for it, which could be better...any ideas?

Comments
Patrick Paquette commented Oct 03 '13, 1:43 p.m.

Perhaps transitioning to Done in the story can do this for you?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Deepa Doraswamy (4712) | answered Oct 08 '13, 9:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks Patrick. Could you open an RFE for this?

Thanks,
Deepa
Patrick Paquette selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Patrick Paquette commented Oct 08 '13, 12:34 p.m.

RFE

One other answer

permanent link
Deepa Doraswamy (4712) | answered Oct 08 '13, 7:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Patrick,
Showing the latest result in the rich hover of the testcases in the story is by design as this shows the latest state of the TER. The affects test result is typically used when a result has failed and a defect has been created. Using this might have an impact on some reports which would be misleading.
To clarify your question, once a story is marked "Done", do you expect the links not to be updated in the Story?
Thanks,
Deepa

Comments
Patrick Paquette commented Oct 08 '13, 8:54 a.m.

I do see the merit in the design decision to show the most recent test result of all test execution records.  So to answer the question: do I expect the links not to be updated whend Done?  No, they can be.  Perhaps a better design would be to show the "Validating Test Result" AND the "Most Recent Test Result".  The Validating Test Result would be, as you described, the most recent test result when the story was transition to Done...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.