It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Script to export RTC process templates

Mark Stewart (11111) | asked Sep 30 '13, 7:46 p.m.
 Hi,

We're currently on RTC V4.0.3 and have approx 110 project areas.

What I'd like to do is export each project area template to a file and source control/version control it.  Is this possible?  Does anyone have any scripts that might use an API to export all of the templates?  ....Doing a file -> export will take a while!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mark.

3 answers

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Oct 02 '13, 11:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Mark,

notice that there is a draft Process REST API which among other things supports a get on the process template. You can find this and other information in the Process Component wiki on jazz.net.
Given the number of project areas, are they all running different / modified process templates? If not, you might find value in letting them share a common process template to reduce the number of process templates of which to keep track.

If this answer is helpful, please mark it as accepted.

Best,
Arne

permanent link
Mark Stewart (11111) | answered Oct 02 '13, 8:44 p.m.
 Thanks for the reply, Arne.

When the tool was first adopted, project teams used their own templates, so it's basically a one to one relationship.  There's a project in the pipeline to reduce overall no of proj areas, and standardise templates - but as you can imagine, this won't be in the near future!

Consider me a REST API newbie - If I was to effectively get to automate the Eclipse "File -> export" functionality, how would I do this?  

I would need to make use of the get process templates collection I in the draft process API, I presume?

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Oct 03 '13, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Mark,

a good starting point is Jazz Article 633 on the bulk manipulation of team membership. It shows in great detail how to use a command line tool cURL in batch files to connect to a jazz server and read out or manipulate project area data. If you combine this with the API information above you should be all set.
Unfortunately I do not have the cycles to build the ready-to-go script but anybody with a batch file scripting knowledge will be able to help you create the right script from this information.

If you prefer Java there is another good article on how to do OSLC from java.

Best,
Arne

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.