It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Making files read-only

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | asked Sep 30 '13, 5:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Dec 02 '13, 4:08 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hi

I am looking into how to make certain (binary or non-code) files read-only but still under version control.  You can lock a file, but then the file can be edited, just not delivered.  Is there a better mechanism to do this? Perhaps there is a way to make the file read-only in your sandbox.

thanks

anthony

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 04 '13, 12:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of any extensibility mechanism provided with the "load" operation that would allow you to do something like this, so you would probably have to run some kind of "make-read-only" script following the load operation.  You would also then have to verify that having the file be read-only doesn't disrupt a subsequent "accept" operation that needs to update one of the read-only files.
Anthony Kesterton selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Oct 01 '13, 4:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This sounds that a pessimistic locking - which is not there - could help.
If so, look work item 71912, or this RFE on developerWorks and vote for that functionality

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 01 '13, 1:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of any way to have the RTC load operation load a file as read-only.

Cheers,
Geoff

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Oct 03 '13, 4:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Geoff

Is it possible to have a trigger of some sort to do this?

thanks

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.