It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Opening a project plan results in "Unable to instantiate the configuration element" error - In Process Sharing

Raviv Gal (2169) | asked Sep 30 '13, 12:38 p.m.
Hi,
I defined a new process template, and have it configured in "Master" RTC project.
I then defined another project "P1" using the process configuration from "Master".
When I try to open the plan section, I get the following error:
Planning can not be used because the Project Configuration is invalid. Check the details for further information.: Unable to instantiate the configuration element 'com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.plantype.IPlanType'.

In "Master" project, plan works fine.

I cannot follow the workaround described in IBM Troubleshooting since in "Master" the entire code exists, and in "P1"  the "Process Configuration File" is empty.

This is a currently blocking the option of having several projects using the same process.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Raviv.

5 answers

permanent link
Raviv Gal (2169) | answered Dec 08 '13, 2:19 a.m.
Hi Gary,
Here is what I understand from my debug:
The problem is due invalid line in the process xml file. The bad thing is that this xml code is automatically generated (each time you "save" the template).
So what I did was taking also the original template, and use it as an alternative project template to be inherit by the new project. This should work fine.
Next, I did some "trial & error" looking for replacement of "good code" with "error code". Luckily I succeeded.
Here are the details that worked for me:

The problematic section is starting with:
            <configuration-data final="false" id="com.ibm.team.apt.configuration.plantypes"   
                                           xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.apt.configuration/planTypes">

The working code is:
            <configuration-data xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.apt.configuration/planTypes"
                                            id="com.ibm.team.apt.configuration.plantypes">

I replaced the whole xml session starting with the above. Then added manually the code for the new plan views.

I hope this will help.

Thanks,
Raviv.

permanent link
Gary Mullen-Schultz (28725536) | answered Dec 05 '13, 10:02 a.m.
I opened defect https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=292877 to document.

permanent link
Gary Mullen-Schultz (28725536) | answered Dec 04 '13, 12:25 p.m.
edited Dec 04 '13, 12:27 p.m.
Hey, I'm getting this too.  4.0.5 RC1.  Did the following:

1. Created JKE Banking project.
  2. Created custom plan view under existing Sprint 2 plan.
  3. Went in to project configuration, promoted that plan view.
  4. Added that plan view to "Spring Backlog [Custom]" plan type.
  5. Saved, and exported project to process template.
  6. Created new project using the process template I just generated.
  7. Go to Plans, blows up.
I get this when clicking "Welcome to Plans" from the browser:
Planning can not be used because the Project Configuration is invalid. Check the details for further information.: Unable to instantiate the configuration element 'com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.plantype.IPlanType'.
hide details
Unable to instantiate the configuration element 'com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.plantype.IPlanType'.
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.PlanningConfigurationValidator.performValidation(PlanningConfigurationValidator.java:105)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.PlanningConfigurationValidator.performValidationIfNeeded(PlanningConfigurationValidator.java:91)
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.service.IterationPlanService.validatePlanningConfiguration(IterationPlanService.java:1028)

I see this when clicking on "Plan Types" from the Eclipse client project config:

permanent link
Raviv Gal (2169) | answered Oct 09 '13, 1:43 a.m.
A workaround to the problem was found.
Problematic section in the process xml file was identified. I replaced it with the equivalent section from the original "formal" process", then added the new modes and modification that was added to the new template.
Identifying the exact problematic line is been checked by Rationa, support. I will update when I have answers.

The problematic section is starting with:
            <configuration-data final="false" id="com.ibm.team.apt.configuration.plantypes"   
                                           xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.apt.configuration/planTypes">

Thanks,
Raviv.

permanent link
Kot T. (1.5k11219) | answered Sep 30 '13, 1:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Raviv,

Does this happen to all child projects associated with this master project? Could you try to disassociate the child project from its master, associate it again and see if that helps?

Comments
Raviv Gal commented Oct 01 '13, 2:19 a.m.

Hi Kot,
Thanks for the quick reponse!

• Does this happen to all child projects associated with this master project?
    • Yes. I defined another new project, and the same happen.
  • Could you try to disassociate the child project from its master, associate it again and see if that helps?
    • Tried. Did not solve.
I would appreciate more ideas!

Thank,
Raviv.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.