It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the correct way to set JAZZ_HOME in websphere when using WAS ND in distributed environment?

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Sep 27 '13, 3:07 a.m.
retagged Sep 30 '13, 11:47 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
I have WAS ND installed on 2 servers.   Server 1 has JTS installed, Server 2 has CCM,QM installed.  The Deployment Manager profile is setup on Server 1. 

I access the Deployment Manager using https:<server 1>:<dmgr port>/ibm/console and see Admin,JTS,RQM,CCM application servers installed, with RQM, CCM showing the hostname of Server 2.  After starting the application servers the JTS and Admin apps start successfully.

However, while CCM and RQM start successfully in the console, there's an error in SystemErr log that says it can't find the log4j props file as seen below.

What is the correct way to set the JAVA_HOME and log4j.configuration custom properties when the deployment manager url we access is on server 1 but the RQM and RTC apps are installed on server 2?  If I use the file:///E:/PROGRA~1/IBM......  path it doesn't find it, even though I've verified the correct local path many times.

Do I need to use a UNC path for the apps installed on another server?

[9/26/13 23:50:18:745 PDT] 00000013 SystemErr     R log4j:ERROR Could not read configuration file from URL [file:/E:/PROGRA~1/ibm/JazzTeamServer_SSO_9445_QM/server/conf/startup_log4j.properties].
[9/26/13 23:50:18:745 PDT] 00000013 SystemErr     R java.io.FileNotFoundException: E:\PROGRA~1\ibm\JazzTeamServer_SSO_9445_QM\server\conf\startup_log4j.properties (The system cannot find the path specified.)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Sep 27 '13, 1:01 p.m.
The custom properties are set at the jvm level.  THis means  that whatever path is set should exist on the host where that jvm is running.  As long as the custom properties are 1) set for each server instance, 2) the correct formatting is used and 3) the location     exists and has the needed files, this should work.  

The Dmgr has no impact on the custom properties.  It runs on its own jvm...so should not affect the other server instances which are running in their own jvm as well.

Michael Walker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Walker commented Oct 01 '13, 2:22 p.m.

Problem ended up being that on the 2nd server PROGRA~1 referenced Program Files (x86) and PROGRA~2 referenced Program Files.  Once I changed the custom property to reflect this it worked.

I've never seen them backwards like that but at least it's working now.

2 other answers

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Sep 27 '13, 5:44 a.m.
1. Go to servers -> server types -> WAS application servers
2. You should see a list of all the server  instances
3. For each server instance where the clm applications have been installed, the required jvm custom properties need to be set

Comments
Michael Walker commented Sep 27 '13, 12:41 p.m.

Abraham

My issue is with the value to put in the JAVA_HOME and log4j custom properties for the apps installed on a separate server. Specifically it's not finding the JAVA_HOME and LOG4J paths on the 2nd server, but it is finding them on Server #1.  My thought was because the Deployment Manager profile I setup is on Server#1 so when I use path file:///E:/PROGRA~1 for CCM and RQM on Server#2 it's actually looking for the path on Server#1 instead.

Below is what I have on each of the servers. I'll add another comment that shows the local path and values I'm using for JAZZ_HOME and LOG4J properties.

Server #1:

WAS ND
Deployment Manager profile
JTS

Server #2:

WAS ND
CCM
RQM

Michael Walker commented Sep 27 '13, 12:42 p.m.

Below are the values I'm using for the custom properties.  JTS is on Server#1 and CCM/RQM are both on a separate server from JTS, Server #2.

JTS values
:

Local Path: E:\Program Files\IBM\Jazz_9444_JTS\server\conf
JAZZ_HOME:  file:///E:/PROGRA~1/IBM/Jazz_9444_JTS/server/conf
LOG4J: file:///E:/PROGRA~1/IBM/Jazz_9444_JTS/server/conf/startup_log4j.properties

CCM Values:

Local Path: E:\Program Files\ibm\JazzTeamServer_SSO_9444_CCM\server\conf
JAZZ_HOME: file:///E:/PROGRA~1/ibm/JazzTeamServer_SSO_9444_CCM/server/conf
LOG4J: file:///E:/PROGRA~1/ibm/JazzTeamServer_SSO_9444_CCM/server/conf/startup_log4j.properties

RQM Values:

Local Path: E:\Program Files\ibm\JazzTeamServer_SSO_9445_QM\server\conf
JAZZ_HOME: file:///E:/PROGRA~1/ibm/JazzTeamServer_SSO_9445_QM/server/conf  
LOG4J: file:///E:/PROGRA~1/ibm/JazzTeamServer_SSO_9445_QM/server/conf/startup_log4j.properties

Bo Chulindra commented Sep 27 '13, 12:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hmm, so all three apps are installed on the same machine, but you have the apps installed in different locations on that machine. So you have a different JAZZ_HOME for each application?

So the suspicion is that all the apps are using the same JAZZ_HOME even though you are trying to set a different one for each server?

Michael Walker commented Sep 28 '13, 12:45 a.m.

Bo,

JTS is installed on one server and CCM,RQM are both installed on a separate server.

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Sep 27 '13, 4:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello Michael,
(keeping in mind deploying CLM in a clustered env is not my forte :)

The Infocenter describes the operations to be performed at node level.
I hope you'll find the solution to your issue in there.

Thanks,
Eric.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.