It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to load the complete folder path as exists on the stream?

Sean Burke (3789136235) | asked Sep 20 '13, 7:20 p.m.
 Here is issue that I am having.  There is a lot of teams here that do "heavy" artifact management.  Meaning having to check in and out multiple files at time.  The web client is not really enough but the eclipse client scares some people.  I am suggesting the eclipse client to a team develops a lot of flash based training materials.  They would never want to bring their files into eclipse but could use the pending changes view to deliver files from the file system to the stream but here is the an issue

I load the files from my stream.  The folder path is nested probably 5 to 6 levels deep from the root folder in the stream.  RTC does not create the folder structure as it exists in the stream on my C drive  It only creates the folder (source in the case) a the root of the sandbox (in this case C:\rtcwksp\alm.)  Not having the complete path causes some problems.  Mainly there are many source folders in the component.  It also creates some confusion for people

So what I get locally is only the source folder and not the full path.   There are other source folders that when loaded cause a conflict. 

Is there way to load the entire folder path?  Load rules maybe?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 21 '13, 7:46 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Currently, the best way I know of to get what you want is to do the load from the "Repository Files" view, and use the "Load As ..." operation, to make sure you are putting that folder where you want.
But this approach has various drawbacks, such as that you cannot then load a parent of one of the loaded folders, and if the location of that folder is changed in the stream, and you accept that change into your workspace, that change isn't reflected in the sandbox.
I have submitted work item Provide a load option which load the specified directories, but at relative paths from the repository, not as root folders (281592) requesting direct support for your use case.  If this is something you'd like to see implemented, please submit an RFE at:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=submitRfe&BRAND_ID=1&PROD_FAM_ID=244&PROD_ID=435&PRESELECT_DROPDOWNS=true
And you can reference this work item to save yourself typing in the details of the request (:-).
Sean Burke selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 23 '13, 9:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You may also want to think about organizing your components differently. If your users require loading parts of a component, it is complicating their lives when the components could be organized in a way where the common work flow is to load the entire component. The load wizard is limited at the moment and it is difficult for users to specify specific load configurations. Load rules would help if you're willing to spend the time creating them.

You may also want to look at the Windows Shell since it seems you're on Windows. It won't have any of the Eclipse terminology that your users don't care about, won't require starting Eclipse, and won't scare your users.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.