It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Start-up error IllegalArgumentException in TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:96)

Michael Grötzner (1111) | asked Sep 20 '13, 10:23 a.m.
retagged Sep 30 '13, 9:58 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)

I have RTC client 3.0.1.2. Connecting to different RTC servers. Since one of my servers migrated to RTC 4.0.2 I thought it is a good idea to use the RTC 4 client. Using the 4.0.1 client with my RTC 4 server was working fine, but the client does not work with my other RTC 3.0.1 server. So I stopped the RTC 4 client and wanted to start the RTC 3 client again. This fails. The splash screen appears for a short time and then disappears without any message. Now I'm stuck with my workspace.

In the workspace .metadata directory I find a .log file with the last entry:

!SESSION 2013-09-20 15:55:23.606 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.fullversion=J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Windows 7 x86-32 j9vmwi3223ifx-20100511 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20100509_57823_lHdSMr
JIT - 20091016_1845ifx7_r8
GC - 20091026_AA
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2013-09-20 15:55:27.257
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:96)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:130)
at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.setStateFromMemento(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:1283)
at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.restoreStateFromMemento(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:1400)
at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.init(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:1169)
at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.<init>(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:376)
at com.ibm.team.process.rcp.ui.teamnavigator.ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.getDefault(ConnectedProjectAreaRegistry.java:391)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.ConnectedProjectAreas.getConnectedProjectAreas(ConnectedProjectAreas.java:154)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.ConnectedProjectAreas.restoreState(ConnectedProjectAreas.java:184)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.ConnectedProjectAreas.restoreState(ConnectedProjectAreas.java:204)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.ConnectedProjectAreas.getInstance(ConnectedProjectAreas.java:51)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.actions.ProjectAreaSelectionAction.<init>(ProjectAreaSelectionAction.java:83)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.QuickSearch$2.<init>(QuickSearch.java:302)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.QuickSearch.createQuickSearch(QuickSearch.java:302)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.QuickSearch.<init>(QuickSearch.java:261)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.ui.internal.quicksearch.SearchBarTrim.fill(SearchBarTrim.java:36)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2$STrimBuilder.renderTrim(TrimBarManager2.java:447)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2$STrimBuilder.processAdditions(TrimBarManager2.java:378)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2$STrimBuilder.build(TrimBarManager2.java:330)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.menus.TrimBarManager2.update(TrimBarManager2.java:109)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.updateLayoutDataForContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:3783)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.setLayoutDataForContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:3796)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.createDefaultContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:1114)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindowConfigurer.createDefaultContents(WorkbenchWindowConfigurer.java:625)
at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchWindowAdvisor.createWindowContents(WorkbenchWindowAdvisor.java:268)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.createContents(WorkbenchWindow.java:1000)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:431)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$20.runWithException(Workbench.java:1032)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3885)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3506)
at org.eclipse.ui.application.WorkbenchAdvisor.openWindows(WorkbenchAdvisor.java:803)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$28.runWithException(Workbench.java:1384)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.StartupThreading$StartupRunnable.run(StartupThreading.java:31)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:134)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3885)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3506)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2316)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:618)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)

What can I do to continue using my workspace with both RTC servers?

Any help is appreciated.

Michael Groetzner

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Sep 20 '13, 11:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Unfortunately, once you use a workspace with a newer RTC client, the workspace will likely be modified with changes that the older RTC client cannot handle. This isn't a problem when upgrading your RTC client, but doesn't work if you try to downgrade your client.

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Sep 27 '13, 2:19 a.m.
Hi Michae,
I see that there is really big pain here. I would suggest you opening new PMR. Possibly you will get better answer when using more formal way.

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Sep 20 '13, 10:33 a.m.
Hi Michael,
You probably are trying to use RTC 3 client  the workspace used by client in version 4. This might be a root cause of the error.
Try starting RTC client with fresh workspace.

Let us know if it helps for you.

Comments
Michael Grötzner commented Sep 20 '13, 11:00 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof,

sure, I'm using the same workspace. It contains all my set-up and code and definitions to multiple libraries. Setting-up a new one can be done, but as this requires a lot of definitions, I would like to avoid that. Ho does a RTC 4 client change a workspace, that the RTC 3 cannot work anymore. I think, this can't be a big change. I assume it's just one file. I hope, that I can just delete that file and it works again.

If this is not possible, I need to set a new workspace. (I hope I can find a start-up parameter that allows to start with another workspace)

Michael Groetzner

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Sep 20 '13, 11:15 a.m.

Hi Michael,
Just before finding the answer on your last question, can you check if the client start in new fresh workspace?

Bo Chulindra commented Sep 20 '13, 11:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Also, perhaps exporting your client preferences will reduce some of the setup if you do need to create a new workspace.

Michael Grötzner commented Sep 23 '13, 1:27 a.m.

Starting RTC 3 with a new workspace works. Nevertheless, all the workspace related configuration is gone.

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Sep 23 '13, 3:00 a.m.

+1 Bo for your comment.

Michael - can you check if it helps for you?

Michael Grötzner commented Sep 23 '13, 11:23 a.m.

Hi Bo and Krysztof,

how can I export the client preferences from my RTC 4 workspace in a way that it's working in the RTC 3 workspace?

Bo Chulindra commented Sep 23 '13, 11:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hmm, I was under the impression that the preferences file could tolerate going to an older version though I don't know for sure.

Here's a link describing the export that I was thinking of: http://help.eclipse.org/juno/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftimpandexp.htm

However, I know there are many preferences that won't be imported. I did an internet search for ways to export preferences and I see some folks have come up with ways to export even more.

Michael Grötzner commented Sep 27 '13, 1:36 a.m.

Hi Bo and Krzysztof,
Setting up a new workspace is what I wanted to avoid. Even after 2 days, there is still not everything set-up as in my old one.

If there is no way back from RTC 4 to RTC 3 client, I think we can close this thread.

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.