It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Poor Performance on IE7 - How to Tune?

Philip Johnson (30910) | asked Sep 19 '13, 12:54 p.m.
 Hi,

We have users that access RTC through IE 7 on Citrix. They're reporting the tool is very slow, I know that the tool and the box it is operating on are not slow because I am accessing it outside of Citrix on Chrome / IE 10 and it works fast. I know that Chrome and IE 10 handle JavaScript better than IE 7, but the tool is almost unusable to those on IE 7.

I've seen that our box seems to hang at around 40% free memory screenshot attached - will changing any settings in the jts admin console speed the tool up?

I see there are some settings around the feed? I've attached a screenshot of those too, will changing any settings in here speed things up for the IE users?

Thanks,
Phil memory usage Settings to Modify?

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Sep 20 '13, 4:10 a.m.
Hi Philip,
RTC intensively uses Java Script. There are faster web browsers than IE 7 to proces JS.

What is the version of RTC server you use? Please notice that IE 7 is no longer supported for 4.0.3.

Can you also specify which particular operations are slow and how many users have and don't have this issue?

Did you have a chance how fast it is working on Citrix when you use Firefox or Chrome? If it works fast, then you can try using RTC Eclipse client. You can download out ouf the box client which needs to be unzipped only to make it working.

Do not worry about memory allocation tab. We had many users confused that this report. Probably most of the memory is used for a cache and it can be released at any time.

Let us know if my tips help for you.

Comments
Philip Johnson commented Sep 23 '13, 9:08 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof,

Thanks for this. We are using RTC v4.0.3, and those on citrix are using this on IE7.

The particularly slow operations are when the users are browsing the test cases in RQM, and looking for the test case they need to execute. All users that are using RTC through IE7 on Citrix are experiencing this slow performance. I am pushing for a browser upgrade from the clients IT Citrix team but this may take some time.

Are there any settings that I can change to improve the performance of RTC in the web client for those on Citrix IE7? (Installing the RTC client on Citrix is not an option at this time unfortunately). 

What is the best way to release the memory used for a cache? And will this improve performance?

Thanks,
Phil

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.