It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to re-use Visual Studio lscm session.

Daan van der Munnik (29113127) | asked Sep 18 '13, 3:53 a.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 5:28 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
We use a 3rd party tool which needs an RTC lscm command line session available. 
If a developer starts Visual Studio he/she needs to specify RTC credentials once, after that they can work with RTC from within Visual Studio. Our 3rd party Visual Studio plugin calls the a command line tool, which calls the command line version of RTC, i.e. lscm. For some reason the Visual Studio RTC session and the command line RTC session appear to be different. So if you have a Visual Studio RTC session running, you can't run lscm without logging in once again (via the cmd prompt). Even if we call the lscm executable in the Visual Studio directory it doesn't work. So my question is: how can we use the Visual Studio RTC session via lscm? Or, if this isn't possible, how can we run RTC commands in another way, once somebody has a Visual Studio RTC session running?

Thanks,

Daan

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Sep 20 '13, 10:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Daan,
Can you add some additional details to this question. Maybe an example would help.

Also I don't see the lscm command in my 4.0.3 VS integration directory. What version of RTC are you using?

Daan van der Munnik commented Sep 26 '13, 5:26 a.m.

The 3rd party VS plugin is actually just opening a windows-shell to do it's thing.
The problem is that when this plugin needs to go and do RTC scm stuff using the lscm command line, it will need credentials.

From an end-user perspective this is strange, because the user allready did specify his credentials within Visual Studio.

So the question is; is there some way of re-using these credentials (or attaching to the active shell used by the RTC Visual Studio plugin).

Thanks,

Daan.

One answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Nov 13 '13, 5:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The scm cli tool cannot reuse the credentials specified by the VisualStudio client. The daemon maintains a session that could be reused by the clients but every client has to authenticate before performing an operation (in other words talk to the daemon to perform the operation).

By the way, what is the operation that the Visual Studio plugin does that requires the scm cli tool?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.