It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get the attribute with type workitem to show in the parent workitems links tab?

Mike Boyersmith (643) | asked Sep 13 '13, 4:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a custom workitem (call it child), and one of the fields is of type workitem (parent). (so a user can  select a work item to reference here.

So a many child to one parent relationship.

What I want to be able to do, is when I bring up the parent work item and then navigate to the links tab I want to see all the references to child work items.

right now its empty.

How do I get this wired up, using the work item editors?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 16 '13, 5:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 16 '13, 5:32 a.m.
Mike if you use a work item attribute of type Item to select and store other work items, then there are no references/relationships between the work items involved. The work item basically stores a reference to the other work item in the attribute value (list). It does not create any new links/references such as parent/child or whatsoever on any of the involved work items.

If you want to have parent/child, you have to use the parent/child linking. If you want to use the work item attribute type to maintain parent/child, you would have to create a follow up action, that creates the links if they are not available yet. Please be aware, that you would have to handle exceptional cases your self in this case.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.