It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tracking Impediments and creating an Impediment Plan in RTC

Tom Stapleton (23135) | asked Sep 09 '13, 9:04 a.m.
In RTC, I have tweaked the Impediment work item type to better track the what, who, and whens of what is blocking the team's progress.

What I would like to do is create a Plan so that I can better manage the impediments, increase the visibility, and create a more concise view for the team and for management. Since Impediments are not necessarily tied to a particular release or iteration, I would like to make that restriction optional.

Is this even possible in RTC? We are on 4.0.1

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 09 '13, 5:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A Plan in RTC is a set of work items assigned to a particular team/project area (or to a team area that is a child of that team/project area) for a particular iteration (or for an iteration that is a child of the specified iteration).  So in order to have a Plan of impediments, the impediments must be tied to an iteration.  If you didn't assign an impediment to an iteration, what would determine whether or not a given impediment would appear in the plan?

Comments
Tom Stapleton commented Sep 10 '13, 9:51 a.m. | edited Sep 10 '13, 11:34 p.m.

I can understand tying an impediment to a particular iteration, but what about those impediments that are not part of an iteration? Here I am using the expanded definition of Iteration - those items and issues that are blocking progress or that would increase the productivity of the team.
So some of the "impediments" that I want to track is the construction of a new Team Room to reduce the distractions from other departments in our area, and the purchase of webcams for the team so that when they are remote we can still see each other. These are things that I want to keep visible to the team and to management so that they can be addressed.

Any suggestions on how to better manage Impediments without having them imbedded in a Release or Sprint backlog? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 10 '13, 11:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can create a shared query that matches the set of impediments of interest, and optionally, put that query in a viewlet in a team dashboard.

Takehiko Amano commented Sep 11 '13, 4:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I heard some teams are using another iteration (RTC iteration) for the project management purpose. This iteration's period never ends.

Alternatively, you may create another timeline.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Sep 11 '13, 2:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I was about to suggest something similar. Some teams also use this strategy to put defects into a "Triage iteration" to hold them outside of the normal development plans. This strategy is described in my Pragmatic Scrum with RTC webinar, replay here:  http://youtu.be/LgSmmEox9GY

Tom Stapleton commented Sep 11 '13, 3:31 p.m.

Perfect! Some out of the box thinking is what it took to find a good solution.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.