It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent personal builds?

Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | asked Sep 09 '13, 9:00 a.m.
I have a build definition that I would like to restrict to production builds only (no personal builds). Is there a way that I can prevent users from submitting personal builds against this build definition?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Scott Cowan (966310) | answered Sep 09 '13, 9:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jeff,

There is no UI support for preventing personal builds, but in your build scripts, you could check the "personalBuild" property.

I know personal builds kind of hinder our Hudson/Jenkins integration where such a concept doesn't exist.

Scott
Jeff Care selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Jeff Care commented Sep 09 '13, 9:26 a.m. | edited Sep 09 '13, 9:31 a.m.

Thanks. I had already considered doing this but I was looking for something with more immediate feedback for the user: a property check in the build script is (potentially) very late, especially if there is a long queue. Also, it's not necessarily obvious to the user why their personal build "failed".

Can you create a feature request to get this supported in the UI?

Scott Cowan commented Sep 09 '13, 9:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nick Edgar commented Sep 09 '13, 12:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

We have some support for controlling whether a build engine can pick up personal builds, but not at definition granularity.  See work item for details.

One other answer

permanent link
Melissa Kivisto (2871021) | answered Nov 17 '14, 6:48 p.m.
Another way you can disable personal builds is by doing so in the permissions of the Team Area which owns the build.
(Under Permissions, view by "Show all actions and roles" and deselect under Build>Request Build>Request Personal build).
The drawback of this is that is will apply to all builds owned by the Team Area, which may or may not be desired (although you could create a seperate team area too).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.