It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there RTC component rename history?

Jia Jia Li (8057152192) | asked Sep 09 '13, 8:53 a.m.
When user re-name the component name, is there any audit trail for it?
Thanks very much!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Sep 09 '13, 10:47 a.m.
Yes, there is.  It is captured in the event log for the project area.  Open the feed associated with the project area and you'll see a record of who renamed it, when and the before/after the rename operation.
Jia Jia Li selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tim Mok commented Sep 09 '13, 3:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

FYI, the event log doesn't last forever. It will eventually be purged. I believe it only shows you the last few hundred events. If there's a lot of activity, the record won't last long.

Christian Morgan commented Sep 09 '13, 4:16 p.m. | edited Sep 09 '13, 7:35 p.m.

@Tim - Is there anyway, through repotools or otherwise to periodically dump/export the event logs for archival purposes?  Or even configure the retention period/size on the sever side?

I would assume one of the reasons for the auto-purge is to not let the event logs eat up too much space in the db, but this also creates a real hole in any audit capability for the solution.  Things such as the renaming of components and other objects (that are event logged) might need to be kept by organizations for a period of time (many years for some  companies).

-chris

Christian Morgan commented Sep 09 '13, 5:24 p.m. | edited Sep 09 '13, 7:35 p.m.

Probably best to clarify or restate: "...this also creates a real hole in any audit capability for the solution." as an "overall" hole.  I do believe that with the work items, change sets in source control you can get a great deal of audit support with appropriate retention periods.  Just seems like there could be some way to better manage event logs long term than simply purging them away permanently.

Tim Mok commented Sep 10 '13, 1:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't think it's customizable. The events come from the feed management used in all Jazz based products and it doesn't have a way to set the limit. I would suggest opening an enhancement or going through support to open an enhancement request. Users may be able to use the rss feed to archive the events if they want to customize something themselves.

2 other answers

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Sep 10 '13, 1:57 p.m.
Opened Enhancement:#279808

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Sep 10 '13, 1:46 p.m.
Thanks Tim.  Will create an enhancement for this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.