It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems with uploading custom RPE scripts to RQM web app

Joe Gariano (8813137) | asked Sep 06 '13, 8:02 p.m.
(Note that this question is a continuation of the post here)

I'm having an issue with uploading a custom RPE script to the RQM web app.  I've followed the directions listed on the help pages, but I'm getting an error.  More specifically...

First, I created a very simple .dta that just prints out "hello world".  I have a simple t.dsx that kicks that off.  The .dsx file tells it to generate a Word document.  Both are stored on my desktop.

Following the instructions on the help pages, I create a report, and I upload the .dta to the contents section and the .dsx added to the files section.  I then create the report that uses that report resource.

However, when the report opens, I get the following error message at the top of the window:
"Could not load template C:\Windows\TEMP\reports_GTI-M51vEeKSvZIMpS1htA\_XeHvTxaLEeOb4rvym5qF1g/template.dta. Error is: "

I've tried it a few different times with new reports to make sure I didn't mess anything up, but I always get that error.

Is there something I'm doing from the Windows/Firefox client side that is wrong?  Or could it something on the server running RQM is not configured correctly?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Alanna Zito (1.3k3) | answered Sep 09 '13, 10:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Joe,

I commented in your other post as well, but it appears that you're trying to use RPE v 1.2 with CLM v 4.0.2.  RPE version 2 templates are not supported in CLM 4.0.2 - you can still use RPE 1.2 to create your templates, but you must save them as Version 1.

Also, as Chong Yuan pointed out, in general, you don't need to upload your *.dsx file to run a report on the server - it should not cause any errors if you do, though.
Joe Gariano selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Joe Gariano (8813137) | answered Sep 09 '13, 11:20 a.m.
Chong Yaun,
I have tried it without uploading a .dsx file, and that still didn't work.  Any idea when .dsx support will be coming to the CLM suite?

Alanna,
I created a new "hello world" .dta, and it worked this time -- which is good.  However, I have a number of .dta files that I've created in version 2, but I'm not seeing anything in RPE that allows me to convert a version 2 template back to a version 1 template.  Does such a feature exist?

Finally, I have one more question...  Suppose I uninstalled RPE from my computer, would I still be able to generate the web based report that I uploaded?  In other words, is the RPE functionality running entirely on the server, or somehow invoking RPE on my workstation?

Thanks,
Joe

Comments
Alanna Zito commented Sep 09 '13, 11:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to convert a template back to version 1 if it was created in version 2. 

You do not need RPE on your machine to generate reports on the web - all of the document generation capabilities are on the server itself.

Joe Gariano commented Sep 09 '13, 12:21 p.m.

Ok, thanks.  Any idea when .dsx support is coming?  Is it in CLM 4.0.3?

Alanna Zito commented Sep 09 '13, 12:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

What exactly do you mean by "dsx support"?  Is there a particular property of the dsx that you'd like to see used on the server?  In general, you should not need a dsx to run a report on the server.  The data source configuration & variable values are set through report parameters, and the report will run with the credentials of the CLM user.  We did add support for stylesheets in CLM 4.0.3 (see enhancement 216311).  Is there anything in particular you think is missing?

Joe Gariano commented Sep 09 '13, 1:00 p.m.

Thanks Alanna.  I wasn't aware that you could set the variables through the report parameters.  So if I have a .dta that currently has, say, 10 external variables that it exposes to the user via the .dsx file in the RPE client, then I can configure something in the report such that the web based user will be able to configure the same 10 variables -- is that what you're saying?  If so, then that's what I meant by ".dsx support".

(My apologies for not understanding how that works.  Because it had been failing with my version 2 .dta files, I never got very far with figuring this feature out.)

Alanna Zito commented Sep 09 '13, 1:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You don't have to configure anything in the report - all of the external variables & data sources in your template will show up as parameters when you run it on the server; the person running the report can then enter the values for the variables, and the data source URLs (and, like I said, they don't need to enter any credentials - the report will run with the credentials of the person logged into the server).

Joe Gariano commented Sep 09 '13, 1:25 p.m.

Is there a concept of a default value that the user can accept without having to supply the variable value?  For example, when our users run the .dsx file using the RPE client, we have pre-configured those 10 variables with default values, most of which the user accepts.  But they have the ability to supply something other than the default value should they choose to.  Is that feature supported with the web based launching?

And along the same lines, can I supply the data source URIs that the user doesn't have to modify by default?  Or will the user have to always come up with the URI themselves?  (Currently, we have a set of .dta files that we share among projects, and we supply the data source URIs for those in separate, project specific .dsx files, so that the average user doesn't have to figure out what the URI is.)

Alanna Zito commented Sep 09 '13, 2:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

There are couple of ways you can handle default values:

-In the web UI - if there is going to be one shared copy of the report on the server, someone who is familiar with the report could create it, set all the appropriate default parameter values, and save it.

-In the dta itself - for variables, you can specify a default value in the template (in the variable's properties).  For data source URIs, you could use the configuration metadata (new feature as of RPE 1.1.2.1).  You can find more information about the metadata in the online help; but, briefly, in the Outline view, right click on a data source schema, and "Edit Configuration Metadata".  If you enter a value for the "Request URL", and leave the other fields blank, this will essentially be treated like a default value for the URI.  For reports that will run on the server, you can use some variables here to make your templates more generic - for example, the variable ${public} represents the URI of the application running the report (e.g., "<my-server>:9443/qm"), and ${projectAreaUUID} is the ID of the project area where the report is running.

Joe Gariano commented Sep 09 '13, 6:18 p.m.

Thank you Alanna.  That's very useful info.  I think my next step is to work with our IT department to get 4.0.3 installed on the servers -- since most of our existing .dta files are version 2 based, and they rely pretty heavily on a common stylesheet.  Once we get to that point, I will dig back in to this thread and start migrating the RPE content to the web view.  In the meantime, we'll continue to use RPE.

Joe Gariano commented Oct 21 '13, 5:57 p.m.

Two additional questions for you, Alanna...

1) Suppose we upgrade from CLM 4.0.2 to CLM 4.0.3 or greater.  You said, with that upgrade, we'll get stylesheet support when launching RPE reports from within the CLM web UI.  I've noticed that the CLM web UI reports print out directly in the browser initially, and only writes to a Word file when you click the "export" function and send it to Word.  In 4.0.3 or greater, when does the stylesheet get processed?  When you export to Word?  Or does it try to process the stylesheet when it writes it to the browser initially?  I ask because our existing RPE 1.2 templates are tuned only for Word output, and our .dot stylesheets tinker with Word styles/macros to get things just right.

2) Some of our existing RPE templates pull content from Rhapsody. To do that, we start the Windows Rhapsody client and local XML server prior to launching the RPE Eclipse client, and then have the .dsx file resolve the Rhapsody data source to the local host Rhapsody XML server.  I'm assuming that local host Rhapsody XML server would not work when launching the RPE report from the web UI, correct?

Joe Gariano commented Oct 21 '13, 8:31 p.m.

And one more question...

3) Does 4.0.3 or greater provide a progress bar or something equivalent to an RPE console to show you that the report generation is working?  I tested this out with a 1.1.2.2 template that pulls over a lot of data, and it was difficult to tell from a user perspective if the report was hung or just taking a long time.  It just said "loading" for a bit and then a blank screen for a while before actually producing a result.

Alanna Zito commented Oct 22 '13, 9:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

1) The stylesheet only gets used with the associated output type (e.g., if it's a Word template, it will only get used when exporting to Word).  You're right that CLM always tries to generate the report to the browser first, which may not be appropriate in your case.  We do have an open request to skip the initial HTML generation - see I cant generate a report directly to excel without html preview (242201).

2) When you run reports in the web UI, they're running on the server, so all the data sources have to be at URLs that are accessible from the server machine.  Furthermore, on the server, only data sources that are friends of the server are supported.

3) No, we don't currently provide any type of progress indicator.  You might want to look at RRDG should show more useful messages during a document generation (252146).

Alanna Zito commented Oct 22 '13, 9:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

P.S. - it's better to ask a new question instead of continuing comments in an old thread - it makes your questions more visible to other users.

showing 5 of 12 show 7 more comments

permanent link
Chong Yuan Yin (7612) | answered Sep 09 '13, 2:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Joe,

Could you try creating a report with only the .dta file? Actually generating RRDG report from web UI currently doesn't support uploading any additional file, so the .dsx file should be removed from the report resource.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.