It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Searching file locks very unreliable

Phillip Piper (15812524) | asked Sep 06 '13, 1:37 p.m.
edited Nov 02 '13, 12:07 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
We are on RTC 3.0.1.3 and using file locking across a number of our streams. We are finding the ability to search for locks and even the entire locking model to be pretty unreliable. Has anybody else had issues with this?

Generally, we have problems with permissions around locking that should work. For example, someone who has permissions to unlock files can't and it says they need to be part of one of the admin groups. Even after we fix that (which we shouldn't need to do nor do we want to) they still have problems transferring locks even though they have permission to do so. We are working with RTC support on this already.

We also find that when searching for locks, I can search for locks by an owner, on a specific component, in a specific stream with a max results of, say 50,000. I will get much less of than 50,000 in my search result but it will not list a file which is locked. Instead, I have to explicitly search on the file I know I have locked along with all the other filters to get it to show up in the results so I can unlock it.

We are currently blocked on upgrading to RTC 4.0.x by some other issues but I'd like to understand if there is something I am missing or need to understand more about the locking model so we can see better results in this area.

Comments
Vince Thyng commented Oct 31 '13, 8:51 p.m.

Was support able to provide insight in to your problem?

Phillip Piper commented Nov 03 '13, 2:35 p.m.

We're still working with support on this but they haven't yet.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 03 '13, 12:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It sounds like you might be encountering defect: If more than than 512 files are locked in a component, only about 512 locks are shown in the Eclipse package explorer (280745) which shows up in all the clients, not just the Eclipse client.

Comments
Phillip Piper commented Nov 03 '13, 2:34 p.m.

Thanks. I am do to meet with support on Monday about this and will mention this. I assume it is expected the same defect may also be present at the 3.0.x level? 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 03 '13, 4:35 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, this limitation has been in all versions of RTC.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.