It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Docs for Derby to DB2 migration v4.x

john norris (20733844) | asked Sep 05 '13, 5:19 a.m.

Hi, I am migrating data in a Derby to DB2. RTC 4.0.1. On Linux.

The manual at Installing > Installing the Rational solution for CLM > Setting up the database > Setting up a DB2 database, section 3 states "Important: Run the createTables command only if this is a new installation". This is not a new installation of RTC but they are new DB2 databases. So the comment is a little obscure (to me!). Do I need to run createTables?

Also in sections 2g and 2h, why do the values need to change to full pathnames? And does this apply to Linux or only Windows (which are used in the examples)?

Regards,

John

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 05 '13, 6:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
John,

please refer to the product help: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_migrate_overview.html in the Upgrading and Migrating section to how to change the database vendor.
john norris selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
john norris commented Sep 05 '13, 7:39 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

thanks for the quick reply. I did read that - as I mentioned above it is problems with the actual help that I was asking the question on. The link you gave are the latest notes but they are the same as the ones I read.

So my questions are really very specific to the notes whose link you posted.

Regards,

John

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 05 '13, 7:55 a.m. | edited Sep 05 '13, 7:56 a.m.

The point the help is making, is: don't run the -crateTables against a DB that has content. If you do, your content is gone.

If you move from Derby to another vendor, you have to do a repotools export of your db's. Then you need to set up your new target databases and finally do a repotools import of your exported DB's. Since your new DB is empty, you can safely run a create tables, and I think you have to. I am not sure if the DB import with repotools runs a -createtables, if it does, no harm done if your DB has them already.

john norris commented Sep 05 '13, 12:16 p.m.

Thanks Ralph, the problem for me was using "new installation" - to me installation means RTC whereas if "new databases" had been used then that would have been clearer.

Have you any ideas on the other part of my original question about the indices entry in the teamserver.properties file described in sections 2g/2h of this page in help.

Regards,

John

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 05 '13, 1:56 p.m.

John,

As long as you keep the index files where they are, or move them somewhere else and fix the properties, you should be fine.  There is a backup article in the deployment wiki with gory details. And a library article. 

The index files just need to be consistent with the export of the DBs. I would suggest to chose an absolute path outside of the server install folders. Just in case you upgrade and want to delete the old files you won't accidentally delete the index files and then have to reindex.

One other answer

permanent link
john norris (20733844) | answered Sep 05 '13, 12:30 p.m.

Actually it looks as though repotools -import does create the tables as I get this message

Do you wish to continue? Enter Y to confirm.
y
Creating the tables for the database ....;" without indices.

Perhaps the without indices comment goes back to my question above about the indices value in the properties file

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Sep 05 '13, 3:19 p.m.

I think those indices are actually table indexes for the db2 tables.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.