It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Help understanding work item categories association to team area

Vince Thyng (13723753) | asked Sep 04 '13, 2:12 p.m.

I am trying to filter the list of Filed Against options.  It appears that this could be done by associating categories to a team area.  So I associated a category to "team area 1", but then it becomes unclear how to associate a work item to team area 1.  I tried creating a plan that had "iteration 1" associated with "team area 1", and selecting iteration 1 in the "Planned For" field.  That did not filter the list of options under Filed Against.  After a while of searching jazz.net I am out of leads.  If I am trying to do something that category association was not intended for, please let me know that too.

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Sep 04 '13, 2:51 p.m.
you don't associate workitems to 'team area's directly.. only thru the categories.

consider the categories a routing table.  work for arbitrary string '3' goes to a certain set of people.
you can change the team to string mapping, but the user interface stays the same.

plans are work (items), time (iteration) and people (teams)..

how the work GOT to the teams (category mapping) is not relevant
categories also allow you to do some workload reporting.  (independent of the people doing the work).

Sam
Vince Thyng selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Vince Thyng commented Sep 04 '13, 2:58 p.m.

Thanks Sam, this is what I needed to understand.  I was thinking about it backwards.

One other answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.