It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz Team Server has gone down without warning - which logs should be investigated

Philip Johnson (30910) | asked Sep 03 '13, 12:59 p.m.
edited Sep 03 '13, 4:10 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
 Hi,

For the second time in a week our Rational has gone down - and will not restart.

Which logs should I investigate to determine why the product went down in the first place.

I've looked into the "JazzTeamServer/tomcat/logs" directory. Under catalina.2013-09-03.log there are several errors such as those attached at the bottom of this message

I think the errors below indicate there is a hung process (which is preventing the restart of CLM). What I am trying to work out is why it crashed in the first instance. Can anyone advise which logs I should be looking at? And what actions I should take to find the root cause of the initial crash.

Thanks,
Phil

Sep 3, 2013 5:39:05 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol init

SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler ["http-bio-9080"]

Throwable occurred: java.net.BindException: Address already in use <null>:9080

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.bind(JIoEndpoint.java:406)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.init(AbstractEndpoint.java:610)

at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.init(AbstractProtocol.java:429)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11JsseProtocol.init

2 answers

permanent link
James Paulus (20622035) | answered Sep 03 '13, 3:52 p.m.
 Often times for us, there is still a running Java process that needs to be killed through task manager.   Make sure it is every instance of Java as we often see more than 1.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Sep 03 '13, 1:29 p.m.
LOGS : Any heapdump files in the <install_dir>/server directory ? 
ccm.log (defined in <install_dir>/*/log4j.properties

Make sure that the application is in fact down (not visible in a process listing).  Since the "Address already in use" is showing, that indicates that there is some process still "running" which still is bound to the 9080 port.  netstat -n -a |grep 9080 would confirm if you see something like:

tcp        0      0  *.9080        *.*                    LISTEN

in the netstat output.   I've found that server.shutdown doesn't always bring the Tomcat down and sometimes it must be killed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.