It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I view a changeset size in RTC?

diogo cruz (21812) | asked Sep 02 '13, 5:22 a.m.
In there any eclipse view(s) that shows what is the size(bytes) of a changeset?

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 02 '13, 8:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are a couple of different places where you are commonly interested in change set size.   The first is over the wire when the change set is first uploaded to the repository, and when it is subsequently downloaded to a client.  The second is in the repository, which affects database storage requirements.  For over the wire, my understanding is that it sends the full content of each file/directory change.  For how change sets are stored in the repository, I would suggest reading  https://jazz.net/library/article/984/ .  As a quick summary, it checks to see what takes up less space: a delta from the predecessor, or a compressed version, and uses whichever is smaller.

Comments
diogo cruz commented Sep 03 '13, 3:52 a.m.

Thanks for the explanation. I just don´t get why transmitting the whole file content over the wire if it could check for existing before (hash content + search key). Also, no compression is done before wiring?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 03 '13, 3:57 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

WRT transmitting duplicate content, it does check to see of that content already exists before creating a duplicate.  I would guess it does that check on the client before sending over the content, but don't know that for sure.   As for compression before transmitting, I don't think that is done, and assuming it is not, whether it is because of the performance cost of doing the compression/decompression, or some other reason. 

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Sep 02 '13, 9:15 a.m.
Hi Diogo,
Unfortunately there is no option to see changeset size. You can create new rfe on jazz.net for that.

Comments
diogo cruz commented Sep 02 '13, 9:31 a.m.

In this case maybe you can help me understand what it contains...
I would dare to say it would contain only deltas, meaning if a single line of tesxt is added to a 1Mb file for example only some bytes are are transfered both in checkin and deliver operations. Is my understanding right?
Thank you.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.