It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Out of the box reports: Need explanations

Donna Thomas (14122548) | asked Aug 27 '13, 8:58 a.m.
edited Sep 27 '13, 2:07 p.m.
We use out of the box reports (for now) with RTC 3.0.1, and our users especially love the dashboard widgets. However, the extremely short explanations on the widget chooser do not explain enough of what the report/chart shows nor the data it uses to get to the results displayed. Currently I'm looking for an explanation of the Team Velocity chart which is not responding as expected according to its description.

Is there anywhere these reports are more clearly defined? I found a wiki page that tells me a tiny bit more ( https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ReportsOutOfTheBox20 ) but that does not explain the reports.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Elisabeth Carbone (616108) | answered Aug 27 '13, 9:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Donna,
you also can run the report under menu Report - Shared Reports - Work Items - Team Velocity
At the bottom of the report you can expand "What does this report tell me?" to get more explanations.

/Elisabeth
Donna Thomas selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Heidi Stadel (2861) | answered Aug 27 '13, 9:04 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Donna, for project velocity reports, see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.reports.doc/topics/c_ccm_check_velocity.html&scope=null.

For other RTC report descriptions, see http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.reports.doc/topics/r_report_templates_oob.html&scope=null

Comments
Donna Thomas commented Aug 27 '13, 10:38 a.m.

This and the response below point to text descriptions which basically say the same thing as the existing short description on the widget chooser. Still, it does not explain what "closed" means - Resolved, obviously, but it is all Resolved states, even non-completed (like Invalid or something such as that). I'm going to have to submit a PMR because with all these descriptions, it isn't what is being returned. Other data warehouse reports are working properly too, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Heidi Stadel commented Aug 27 '13, 11:50 a.m.

Thanks Donna for your feedback - I've opened a work item against the RTC documentation team:
Improve report description for Team Velocity report (277861)

Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan commented Oct 11 '13, 10:21 p.m.

Hi Donna,

I am looking into this work item, and your question is related to the configuration of your project work items work flow. The "closed" state of work items depends on how the project workflow is defined for the "closed" group. You can find that out by going to the work item customization and clicking Work Items > Workflows. In the States section, the Group column identifies the group the state belongs in: Open, In Progress, or Closed. Following is an example of a work flow for user stories (since the Team Velocity report uses plan items, which include stories in this example). In this case, The "closed" group has three states in it: Closed-Deferred, Closed-Done, and Closed-Invalid:

You can check what states are in your "closed" group for the plan item types. If "invalid" is part of the "closed" group, it is considered a closed work item and will be used in the Team Velocity report.

Hope that helps,

Jenn

Jennifer Cianchetta-Riordan commented Oct 11 '13, 10:21 p.m.

FYI: If you are not sure which work item types are categorized as plan items in your project, you can find that out by looking at the Process Configuration in the Eclipse client. Click Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Planning > Work Item Type Categorization, and see what plan items are selected. Here is an example:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.