It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

work item IDs are missing

Kenery Wang (6411727) | asked Aug 27 '13, 3:38 a.m.
edited Aug 27 '13, 4:20 a.m. by Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103)
Hi all,

I'm confusing about the unique ID of work item in RTC.

1. Does the ID have a limitation?  For example, the maximum ID number is '9999999', then next work item will be created with ID '1'. (I guess there is no limitation just ask for sure.)

2. I've observed there will be some IDs missing! For instance, when I created a work item with ID '265' successfully, then I try to create another work item immediately, the ID will be assigned to '268'. I cannot find out work items with ID '266' and '267' through all the jazz repository by query or other any ways, they're just missing!! Furthermore, the work items won't be created by other users since I'm the only one active user.

Thanks for any help and reply.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Takehiko Amano (1.3k3741) | answered Aug 27 '13, 4:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

#1 RTC data model shows ( I haved reverse engineered schema) that workitem ID is INTEGER type. So don't worry about too much.

#2 Have you canceled to create workitems ?  For example, you create workitem like "Task <16:59:05>", then cancel it. The preserved workitem number will be skipped.

Kenery Wang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Aug 27 '13, 4:11 a.m.

Hi Takehiko,

I don't cancel any work item creation, just create another work item after saving a work item successfully, but the ID is not assigned continuously.

It really weird for me although it won't result in big problem in using RTC, but I still want to know why there are some IDs missing.    

Thanks for your reply

One other answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Aug 27 '13, 4:18 a.m.
Hi Kenery,

I am a bit worried about your question #1. How many work items are you planning to create? We want to be sure that you are not using RTC in wrong way which may cause another issues.

For IDs missing: The reason why they are missing is that the ID is reserved once you open window to create work item. When you cancel workitem creation this ID is simply lost.

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Aug 27 '13, 5:01 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof,

About the question #1, it is just a concernment and I'm not expect to open how many work items in RTC.

For #2, based on Takehiko and your answers, I'd like to believe that I've canceled some work items creation.

Thanks for your quick response but Takehiko answered me first so I'll select his answer as an accepted one.

Thanks for your reply again!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.