It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Re-baseline a part of a plan?

Carson Holmes (11113543) | asked Aug 23 '13, 8:02 p.m.
I have a customer that wants to change the plan snapshot baseline for some of the work items on the plan.  Is this possible?

The rationale is that a Change Request is approved that affects a few work items and allows their baseline (Planned Start Date & Planned End Date) to be re-based.  However, other tasks that may be slipping are not allowed to be re-baselined.  Can this be done?

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 23 '13, 8:11 p.m.
RTC does NOT lock workitems after they have been estimated(baselined), so you can change them at any time. The plan will reflect those changes immediately.

Comments
Carson Holmes commented Aug 23 '13, 9:48 p.m.

Thanks Sam, but that's not what I'm asking.  Of course work items can be changed.  But can a small set of work items on a plan be re-baselined, recalculating their Planned start and Planned End date while the other work items on the plan maintain their original baselined planned dates? 

Carson Holmes commented Aug 23 '13, 9:50 p.m.

Just to clarify further, Planned Start Date and Planned End Date are attributes from the Formal Project Mgmt process template. 

sam detweiler commented Aug 23 '13, 10:11 p.m.

again,as far as I know, any workitem can be changed at any time by someone with the right authority. so YES, you can change the planned start and end dates of any workitem at any time.

policy determines if you SHOULD, not if you CAN.  Baselining is a policy process.

Carson Holmes commented Aug 23 '13, 10:25 p.m.

The Planned Start Date and Planned End Date are read-only fields by default in the FPM process template.  They are set when a plan snapshot of type baseline is created.  I'm rather not make these fields editable.  Perhaps if I filtered the plan view to the few items I want to baseline and resnap the baseline that could work, but I think you can only have one baseline snapshot at a time per plan.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.