It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a difference between the eclipse workspace and the sandbox for RTC?

Abe Roba (1012031) | asked Aug 21 '13, 1:16 p.m.
Is there a difference between the eclipse workspace and the sandbox for RTC?

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 21 '13, 9:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
An Eclipse workspace is a host system directory with an Eclipse .metadata directory in it.
An RTC sandbox is a host system directory with a .jazz5 directory in it.
So a given host system directory can be just an Eclipse workspace, just an RTC sandbox, both, or neither.

By default, the RTC Eclipse plug-in will make your initial RTC sandbox be the same directory as the Eclipse workspace, so the default RTC sandbox used from within Eclipse will be the Eclipse workspace.   But that is just the default behavior.  You can have multiple sandboxes associated with an Eclipse workspace (one of which can be the Eclipse workspace itself, but that is not required).   You can even have the same sandbox associated with multiple Eclipse workspaces (but that is usually to be avoided, for many reasons).

To view and manipulate the RTC sandboxes associated with a given Eclipse workspace, use the "sandboxes" Eclipse preference.

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Oct 04 '13, 6:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

In addition to Geoffrey's answer the SCM command line, Visual Studio Plugin and the Windows shell integration all use a sandbox that is not an eclipse workspace.

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Aug 21 '13, 1:27 p.m.
I'm sure there are some corner cases that are exceptions, but essentially an eclipse workspace is equivalent to an RTC sandbox.

IMO it's very unfortunate that RTC decided to overload the term workspace with a different meaning than was already understood in Eclipse.

Comments
Abe Roba commented Aug 21 '13, 1:29 p.m.

Thanks Jeff, that is what I thought looking at the structure as well.

Jeff Care commented Aug 21 '13, 1:32 p.m.

Glad to help. Please to sure to accept the answer as the correct one :)

Jeff Care commented Oct 04 '13, 5:31 p.m.

Despite the downvote & clarification from Geoff Clemm, the absolute most common usage that I've ever encountered is for there to be only one RTC sandbox associated with an Eclipse workspace, where the RTC sandbox and Eclipse workspace are co-located.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 05 '13, 11:33 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree that is common usage for Eclipse users (and one I personally recommend for Eclipse users in all but a few special cases), but saying it this way would be confusing for users that need to deal with those special cases, and can be very confusing for non-Eclipse users, who might interpret this as saying they need to have an Eclipse workspace in order to load files onto disk.

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Aug 21 '13, 1:21 p.m.
I believe unless the location of the source code or artifacts are located outside of the workspace, then yes.

Comments
Abe Roba commented Aug 21 '13, 1:28 p.m.

So do you mean that it is the same.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.