It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Publishing a model to Design Manager (DM) from the Rational Team Concert (RTC) Repository

Jason Hamilton (35168) | asked Aug 20 '13, 3:54 p.m.
Is it possible to use the RTC model repository (where I check in and deliver changes from RSA) to publish the model to the Rational Design Manager?  I am using Rational Software Architect and Rational Team Concert for CM and would like to use the instance of the model on the RTC repository to populate the DM repository.  The only other ways I have figured out how to populate DM is to use the Import Engine or Upload the model from the project explorer in RSA when the design is being actively managed by RDM.  My goal is to use one repository for all source of information.  Any information is greatly appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered Aug 21 '13, 3:55 a.m.
 Hi

If you want to use only one repository for all your files (such as RTC) than you need to go for the option to manage externally the files and use the import engine to populate Design Manager pulling the model files from the RTC repository.
The upload mechanism is indeed only intended if you actively manage the file with Design Manager. With that option, the model is handled by the DM Configuration Management (VVC) and not anymore RTC.

See  the following sections of the help: 

Hope this will help you
Regards,
Francois

Comments
Jason Hamilton commented Aug 21 '13, 9:55 a.m.

Thanks for the response.  However, using the import engine where would I specify the data exists on the RTC repository?  The only thing that I can specify is the Eclipse Installation Directory.  When i deliver changes to the RTC repository from my client does a Eclipse installation directory exist on the server?  If it does then where?

Jason Hamilton commented Aug 21 '13, 10:07 a.m.

It appears that I need to write an Ant Script to pull the data......so what is the Ant script for pulling the data from RTC or at a minimum the template that I would need to populate? 

Francois-xavier Panaget commented Aug 22 '13, 4:55 a.m.

You are right, you need to pull the Data from RTC using a repository workspace

I would suggest you to :
1. create a RTC base line
2. create a workspace that loads that base line
3. create a snapshot each time you import model(s) (usage a naming convention allowing you to trace back the snapshot to your RTC base line).

Additionally, in the IBM Rational Software Architect Design Manager Import Engine installation directory, you should have some sample ant scripts (eg <IBM_INSTALL_DIR>\RSADMImportEngine\antScriptTemplates). There is one called rtcAntScriptTemplate.xml, which should help you to achieve what you are looking for.

Regards,
Francois

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.