It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Skill-based user list?

Timur Markunin (6495165145) | asked Aug 20 '13, 4:00 a.m.
edited Aug 20 '13, 4:08 a.m.
 Hello,

my client want to plan future resources utilization based on users skills.
They want to fill required skill for a task and have skill-based user list to assign the task to particular user with selected skill.

They need it to create reports for planned users/skill  utilization.

Any ideas how to implement required behavior in RTC better than using dependent enumeration value set?

-thanks in advance

Comments
Aradhya K commented Aug 28 '13, 2:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

RTC provides the basic resource management capability. The one you have described is quite advanced feature.

As you have suggested even though you can achieve the same through the enumerations I would not suggest trying to do the advanced Resource Management using the RTC.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 28 '13, 4:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Tim,

RTC does not provide any capabilities to manage user skills in the user management today. There are several work items requesting to be able to customize it and add the capability to define,show and manage custom information. You might want to look them up and add your support. However, I agree to Aradhya's comment, today Skill management is out of RTC's scope.

If you still want to implement something with RTC as it is, one way that might be possible is to define a work item type "User&Skills" (potentially in an isolated project area). You could add custom attributes to define skills available and a contributor (user) attribute that represents the user the skill set is managed for.

It is possible to create a custom value set that queries the skill records and return users based on that information. See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/attribute-customization-java-based-value-providers-conditions-and-validators/

JavaScript would not do the trick.
Timur Markunin selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 28 '13, 7:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
One approach is to create a team area for each user skill, and then to assign a person to a team if they have that skill.  An advantage of this approach is that it will make it clear which skills are in demand (the teams that are heavily loaded).   A task that requires multiple skills would be modeled as a parent task with the "primary" skill, and then child tasks for each of the other skills.  Note that if a given person has more than one skill, you would need to specify what percentage of their time they will spend on each skill (i.e. will spend on the team for that skill), but you can adjust that percentage to match the current workload.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.