It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does the UUID stay the same when you import a Build Forge projects to a new schema?

Daniel martin (10122926) | asked Aug 15 '13, 3:22 p.m.
edited Aug 15 '13, 3:23 p.m.
 We would like to setup a new Build Forge 8.0 infrastructure, and our plan is to export a project,library, env from the old version, and import into the new.  The reason for this is to take advantage of the java console, but that will only work if the UUID is the same in the new Build Forge.  We have 900+ RTC build definitions tied to this project, and it is not realistic to manually change 900+ build definitions.  If the UUID does change, we may never be able to upgrade our Build Forge.   Please advise.

2 answers

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Aug 23 '13, 10:25 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I tested this just a few minutes ago just to make sure.
The UUID in the XML file is the UUID created in the project at import time unless that UUID already exists.

On import with replace, the UUID is re-used as well.

permanent link
Jin Zhou (591519) | answered Aug 16 '13, 2:42 a.m.
Hi, I'm not the user of Build Forge, but according to common sense, I believe migrating to higher version generally won't change the UUID of the existed resources as this is not necessary.

UUID is used to keep the references/relations among resources in the project. I understand your concern.
You probably could test the process with a small project or
let's wait for a Build Forge user who has the previous experience to answer.

Regards.

Comments
Daniel martin commented Aug 16 '13, 9:27 a.m.

If we were migrating from one version to another, while maintaining the same DB, then yes of course the UUID would remain the same, but that isn't my question.  If I extract the information from one DB, and import it into a new one, does the UUID remain the same?  I would hope it does, but I can't rely on hope.

Anthony Kesterton commented Aug 22 '13, 8:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Any ideas anyone?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.