It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you move data, and only data, from RQM 2.0 on one server to RQM 4.0 on a different server?

Ryan McBryde (5711130) | asked Aug 13 '13, 7:33 p.m.
retagged Aug 27 '13, 2:42 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)

I have an existing instance of Rational Quality Manager, RQM, version 2.0, that resides on a Linux server in a hosted environment.  I also have installed RQM 4.0.2 in a completely different environment along with RRC and RTC.  The databases are all set up and some testing project areas have been set up, including a Lifecycle Project.  I would like to move just the data from the first instance to the second.  Once I complete the move/copy, the RQM 2.0 instance goes away and will no longer be needed.

After doing some research, it appears that the solution would utilize the repotools command.  Basically, it would seem that I could export the RQM 2.0 data into a tar file, using the repotools -export cmd and then import it into the RQM 4.0 instance using the repotools -import cmd but I can't believe that it is that simple.

I am looking for guidance on how best to perform this migration.  I am also looking at how to also migrate the data out of ReqPro into RRC and from CQ into RTC but for this thread I am concentrating on RQM.

Any assistance/insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

3 answers

permanent link
Richard Ammerlaan (111) | answered Nov 27 '13, 10:05 a.m.

If you just need to move data (from one URI to another) I would suggest using a local host install

• install localhost (so URI is not open to anyone else)
  • use RQMCOPY to move test artifacts
  • update the localhost to CLM 4
  • use RQMCOPY (v4) to move from localhost to the central CLM 4 repository

We just finished a slightly more complex version of this to move from an internal RQM server to an externally hosted solution, and we couldn't copy directly due to firewall blocks

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Aug 14 '13, 12:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ryan,
- there is no Project Move capability as such.
- for a good overview in the area, I'd advise you to read this topic : https://jazz.net/forum/questions/77930/what-about-jazz-project-move-capability .
Regards,
Stéphane

Comments
Piotr Aniola commented Aug 15 '13, 4:17 a.m.

yes, technically though, you can duplicate the repository to a new environment, rename the new server if needed, and archive unwanted projects, and you would effectively have Project Move that way.

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Aug 14 '13, 4:08 a.m.
Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by just data (i.e. what else is there that you do not want to move), but generally, I would go through the entire upgrade procedure. The upgrade from 2 to 4 needs to be done in two steps: 2->3, 3->4 and is described here:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_upgrade_to_301.html
The fact that the new instance will be on a different machine doesn't make a huge difference, although you may need to go through server rename if the two machines have different domain names.

Comments
Ryan McBryde commented Aug 14 '13, 11:39 a.m.

Thank you for the response but the link that you sent me says, "You must first upgrade your server to version 3.0.1, then upgrade to version 4.0."

I do not need to upgrade the server, in fact I can't, I need to leave it at 2.0 because there are other projects that need to stay on 2.0.  I already have a 4.0 server installed and configured, I am looking for a way to export the project data out of the 2.0 instance and import it into a new project on my 4.0 server.  That is what I meant by 'data only".

Piotr Aniola commented Aug 14 '13, 11:47 a.m.

OK, I was misleaded by your statement "Once I complete the move/copy, the RQM 2.0 instance goes away and will no longer be needed". It will only not be needed for some selected projects?

Please note that upgrading CLM is basically installing new version and transferring the data. The old installation remains intact.

Ryan McBryde commented Aug 14 '13, 4:27 p.m.

thanks, it's the "transferring the data" part that I am looking for

Piotr Aniola commented Aug 15 '13, 4:15 a.m.

Transferring the data is covered extensively in the link I gave above. Please note that at a certain level of abstraction (technicalities aside), upgrade basically IS "transferring the data"

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.