It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there an exhaustive list of items that "Modify project area properites" manipulates?

Adam Boukal (38124) | asked Aug 12 '13, 12:40 p.m.
retagged Aug 20 '13, 10:39 a.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
I was wondering if there exists an exhaustive list of items/areas that the "Modify project area properties" option under the Process > Modify a project area is able to manipulate?  The brief description is rather vague. "Required to save any changes to the project area which aren't governed by another action. For example, the name, summary, or description."  I've found that this item also controls the "A release is scheduled for this iteration" check box in the Edit the Iteration window under the Timelines section.  I am a tool administrator of the Rational suite for my company and I just want to make sure I'm not going to be granting too much permission to a user who needs this for the scenario I mentioned above when editing iterations.
Any help or links to the detailed documentation of this option would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam Boukal

Comments
Jared Burns commented Aug 20 '13, 10:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The behavior described here doesn't sound right to me. Changing the "release is scheduled for this iteration" flag should check permissions to modify the iteration structure. I've opened a defect to address this: Wrong permission checked when setting the release flag on an iteration (277089) 

3 answers

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Mar 29 '16, 10:19 a.m.
This seem to be still an annoying little bug in RTC 5.0.2 as well
Looking at the workitem https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=277089, it looks like there are no plans to fix this 

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 12 '13, 6:14 p.m.
It should be any of the project area properties not explicitly mentioned under "Save Project Area" permission.
For example, the team membership would not be covered by this permission, because there is a "modify the collection of team members" permission.

Comments
Adam Boukal commented Aug 13 '13, 8:22 a.m. | edited Aug 13 '13, 8:23 a.m.

Geoffrey,

Thank you for the response, but I don't think you have answered the question I posed.  The brief description given in the tool as well as your answer are still too vague.  I understand that it is "everything else" but i was asking to see if there is a specific list of what "everything else" covers.  I'm sure IBM has this documented somewhere in their test plans or regression test coverage.  I can try and test this all myself, but that may take quite some time to complete. The fact that I found it covered the check box for "A release is scheduled for this iteration" was really strange as I thought that should have been covered under the "Modify the iteration structure" section where that check box resides.  That finding is what ultimately sparked this question.  So thank you again for your response, but I'm still quite unclear on this topic.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 13 '13, 8:19 p.m.

I agree that comprehensive documentation would be highly desirable.   I also agree that it is surprising that "Modify the iteration structure" did not include control over that check box (I guess that check box is not considered part of the "iteration structure").  And I also agree that I didn't answer your question (:-) ... if I had, that answer would have been "I believe that no such list exists in a human readable form".

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Aug 20 '13, 9:43 a.m.
I've opened the following enhancement request to address this: Update Permissions topic to provide more details about the Modify project area properties action.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.