It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to implement a WorkItem team estimation function...

Florian Georg (19031918) | asked Jan 20 '09, 8:43 a.m.
I'm wondering if the following can be done currently:

Assume we have a "User Story" workitem that needs to be estimated by all team members for the next iteration (e.g. play "Planning Poker").

The final workitem estimate should be derived from the individual estimation results.

I currently see at least these problems:

1.) How could we track all team member estimates on that workitem?
(besides as plain text in the "discussion" section?)
As a team might be dynamic, how could I track each estimate and determine when all estimates have arrived, and who is missing?
Could I programatically trigger a workitem state change as soon as all estimates have arrived?

2.) Could I automatically "derive" the existing estimate field from the estimates? Could I prevent manual changes on it ?

3.) As for Planning Poker: could I hide the individual estimates from the UI until everybody has voted - so that no one is influenced by other team members ?

One idea for 1.) would be to introduce a new WI type "Estimate" that get's linked to the parent story. But again: How could I track that?

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks & kind regards,
Florian

One answer

permanent link
yogesh arora (86102) | answered Apr 26 '10, 10:34 a.m.
You can have a look at this project which is done in NC state university under Professor Williams.
I was part of that project
http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/wolfpoker/doku.php

I'm wondering if the following can be done currently:

Assume we have a "User Story" workitem that needs to be estimated by all team members for the next iteration (e.g. play "Planning Poker").

The final workitem estimate should be derived from the individual estimation results.

I currently see at least these problems:

1.) How could we track all team member estimates on that workitem?
(besides as plain text in the "discussion" section?)
As a team might be dynamic, how could I track each estimate and determine when all estimates have arrived, and who is missing?
Could I programatically trigger a workitem state change as soon as all estimates have arrived?

2.) Could I automatically "derive" the existing estimate field from the estimates? Could I prevent manual changes on it ?

3.) As for Planning Poker: could I hide the individual estimates from the UI until everybody has voted - so that no one is influenced by other team members ?

One idea for 1.) would be to introduce a new WI type "Estimate" that get's linked to the parent story. But again: How could I track that?

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks & kind regards,
Florian

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.