It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Iterations displayed in seemingly random order

Lewis Tsao (2174962) | asked Aug 08 '13, 10:15 a.m.
Within RTC, there are many places where one needs to select an Iteration.

However, depending on where you are, iterations can be sorted alphabetically, creation order, date order (I think that's all). I apprecicate that whatever the order, it will always be wrong for someone some time.

Is it possible for the order displayed to be in a "development sensible" order but allow the order to be changed by user?

Thanks

Comments
Clement Liu commented Aug 08 '13, 10:28 a.m. | edited Aug 08 '13, 12:54 p.m.

Hi Lewis, 

This is our Timeline structure. 

They come up on Work Item, Query and Report in the exact same order. Could you provide some screens shots of   yours so we can look at? 

Thanks.

Lewis Tsao commented Aug 08 '13, 12:11 p.m.

We have multiple top level iterations, each with sub-iterations, in query we have the following screen shot. As can be seen, iterations are listed in a seemingly random manner (there are more STP Loans, WAS ... entries). This makes it very difficult to find the iteration you want.

2 answers

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Aug 09 '13, 10:22 a.m.
edited Aug 09 '13, 10:22 a.m.
I see. You have 4-level hierarchy. Since RTC Query and Report UI could only provide flat list so far, I'd recommend you to simply the structure by having at most 3 levels. You could move the lowest level iterations one level up. In your case, move "RTC - Week 22/23" up to be at the same level as "RTC - Release Backlog". Hope this is doable on your end. This is our example - Only 3 levels and they're in the same order when they show up on Query and Report UI. Thanks.

Comments
Lewis Tsao commented Aug 09 '13, 10:58 a.m.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to simplify the hierarchy (the hierarchy is deeper, I only managed to show the most relevant parts). The structure is there to reflect organision structure and the fact that management here need to look at product backlogs with release back logs, with sprint backlogs nested. In future they also want to look at things at the (company) project level that contains all these top level iterations.

Besides there is still the issue with usability. If the list is very long, it is still very difficult for users to find the correct entry if it is not sorted alphabetically. Any chance of having the list at least sorted alphabetically? It will be extremely useful for us (and may be a few others). Iteration names will always be according to commercial needs. Displaying the list in anything but generally accepted order does not always go down well with user community.

Clement Liu commented Aug 09 '13, 11:03 a.m.

Understood. I think this enhancement is what you're looking for. Please add your comments so it would get more attention from IBM Development. 

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Aug 08 '13, 12:56 p.m.
 Looks like to me this is the rule:

If you have timelines and sub-iterations defined like this:

T1
   I1
   I2

T2
  P1
  P2

On Query UI, they look like this:

T1
I1
I2
T2
P1
P2

Can you confirm on your end? Thanks.

Comments
Lewis Tsao commented Aug 09 '13, 4:42 a.m.

It appears that the query dialog groups the iterations at same level, so all level 1 iterations are listed, then all level 2 iterations etc.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.