It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to configure RTC SDK v403 extension environment?

Kenery Wang (6411727) | asked Aug 08 '13, 4:54 a.m.
 Hi all,

I'm intending to build up an extension environment for using RTC v4.0.3 and I follow the setting steps described in https://jazz.net/library/article/1000.

Here I got a problem that the repository tar files using in section 1.3 of workshop is for v4.0 not for v4.0.3. 
Although I can skip the section 1.3 not to run the examples offered by the workshop, but I need to build up a jetty test server for quickly testing my own plugins.
Obviously the repository tar files will load example plugins and create some predefined OSGi launch models and Junit launch models which title designated [RTCExt]. 
If I just skip the loading repository process then these models won't be created.

So, can anyone tell me how can I build up and run jetty test server while using RTC v4.0.3?

Thanks for any responses and help.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 19 '13, 4:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Answer to Kenery:

The information is in Setting up the RTC SDK

If you install RTC4.0 and try to run a 4.0.x client against it that does not give you a 4.0.x SDK and it will actually not work. See:  http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/new-version-and-now-experiences-with-sdk-and-plain-java-api-across-tool-versions/

My suggestion if you only want to set up the SDK for newer versions of RTC:

1. Install the workshop with 4.0.
  2. Load the launches (and the final source code if you want that as an example later) to disk. Remember your workspace.
  3. Install RTC and the SDK of the version X you are interested in (server, client, sdk, plain java...)
  4. Setup the SDK as described in the workshop for Version X and skip 1.3 as described in the blog posts above with a new Eclipse workspace
  5. Import the launches and the source code from the old workspace - avoid importing the projects that are imported when setting up the SDK. 
  6. You are ready to go for SDK development for version X

Kenery Wang selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 09 '13, 5:25 a.m.
 Mathieus way of installing 4.0 and upgrading is one way. You do that if you want to run the workshop with 4.0.x.
If you don't and simply want to set up the SDK, have a look at http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/setting-up-rational-team-concert-for-api-development/ . You can basically setup the SDK without having to import the workshop repository.

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Aug 09 '13, 5:45 a.m. | edited Aug 09 '13, 5:49 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

The only thing I want is launched models called [RTCExt] Jetty RTC Server and [RTCExt] RTC Eclipse Client can be run well with v4.0.3 eclipse client.

However, there are some predefined configurations within the workshop repository I guess, then I need to import them, otherwise I can't get the launched models to shorten the development cycle for my own plugins.

Of course, I need to set up the SDK too, no matter it version is v4.0 or v4.0.3.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 09 '13, 3:30 p.m.

Hi, on vacation, so slow......

If you have the launches from the workshop (4.0) you can just import them after setting up the SDK as described in the blog. You can run the workshop on 4.0 or upgrade as suggested above. As described in my blog, I just import the launches and extensions when upgrading. I am thinking about providing the launches in a separate download. That'll take some weeks though. 

Kenery Wang commented Aug 12 '13, 12:31 a.m.

Hi, Ralph, I've read part of articles described in your blog.

So, It seems that I could just use the eclipse client v4.0 which I've run with extension workshop once built up some launches within it, to connect to the jazz server v4.0.3 without problems.Is that right??

Kenery Wang commented Aug 12 '13, 12:31 a.m.

However, still hope can get the right version client to run with corresponding server, which I need the launches for downloading separately to build them into my newer eclipse client (It might need your help to release them).

"As described in my blog, I just import the launches and extensions when upgrading." sorry I can't find the exact paragraphs in the article, could you tell me where to refer? 

permanent link
Mathieu Defianas (15942838) | answered Aug 08 '13, 5:55 a.m.
Hello Kenery,
I am working on this topic actually :-)
I have installed the 4.0.0 server then, I have populated my database with the files used on the workshop. Then I have exported all information in the ccm server.
Finally, I have deleted this version and I have reinstalled the 4.0.3 server ...
Regards
Mathieu

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Aug 08 '13, 6:10 a.m. | edited Aug 08 '13, 6:11 a.m.

Hello Mathieu,

I got a bit of confusion on your descriptions.
Do you mean that you export all the repository files used in v4.0 sdk environment and import them to v4.0.3 sdk environment?
Actually I don't care about all the data I used in v4.0 included the example plugins from workshop. 
I just want to construct an all new sdk extension environment for using RTC v4.0.3 and I really need the jetty test server for shortening the plugins development cycle.
But I can't find out how to build up jetty on v4.0.3 via workshop...

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 08 '13, 8:26 a.m.

You must install the 4.0.0 server and you import data with the command repotool.
Then, you create a workspace on the ccm project and you save all files : it's files for jetty configuration !
Finally, you remove the 4.0.0 server and you work with your 4.0.3 server

Kenery Wang commented Aug 08 '13, 1:15 p.m. | edited Aug 08 '13, 1:17 p.m.

Alright~ I got the point.

You mean that just use the same eclipse client all the time.
Firstly use client to run the workshop with v4.0.0 server, and then uninstall v4.0.0 for installing the new v4.0.3 server to work with.
Is that right?

Thanks for the reply.

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 09 '13, 2:19 a.m.

Yes, I agree with your last comment.
I have used the 4.0.0 client when I have worked on the 4.0.0 server and the 4.0.3 client on the 4.0.3 server.
But I think that the 4.0.0 client can be used on all 4.0.x server. I am not sure ...

Kenery Wang commented Aug 09 '13, 3:01 a.m.

Well, it makes me confuse again, haha... 

Now I got "[RTCExt] Jetty RTC server" within "Debug configurations" layout in v4.0.0 eclipse client.
While it can't be found in v4.0.3 eclipse client cause there is no extension environment configuration on v4.0.3.
So, I was wondering how you can get the "[RTCExt] Jetty RTC server" this launcher in v4.0.3 client.

I thought you just use the v4.0.0 eclipse client with v4.0.3 server lastly.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 09 '13, 3:11 a.m.

Have you extracted files from ccm workshop project ? This files are available after using repotool commands

Kenery Wang commented Aug 09 '13, 3:16 a.m.

Nope, actually I don't know how to use repotool commands...

Is there any guiding article for me to refer?

It seems that you do some kind of migration between v4.0 and v4.0.3.

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 09 '13, 3:21 a.m.

Yes. You must follow this documentation : https://jazz.net/library/content/articles/rtc/4.0/extensions-workshop/
You have all files used by repotool and the pdf documentation

Kenery Wang commented Aug 09 '13, 3:59 a.m. | edited Aug 09 '13, 3:59 a.m.

The article you offered is for construction the v4.0 extension environment, which I have done.

If the "repotool commands" is that import three tar files then I've finished in v4.0 client and server.

Now I need to extract all the files and projects within v4.0.0 client by typing some repotool commands and then import all the files and projects to v4.0.3 client by typing some different repotool commands.

Am I correct on this scenario?

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 09 '13, 4:03 a.m.

No.  If you have used repotool commands to import tar files, you have finished :-)
Now, you must connect your eclipse client to the CCM Workshop Project. Connect you on the only stream and backup all files. You must have 5 eclispe projects.
Then, delete the 4.0.0 server, and start working with your 4.0.3 environment. You can import all eclipse project in your new workspace.

Kenery Wang commented Aug 09 '13, 4:56 a.m.

Okay, I think I got some progress on it.

Now I launch the v4.0.3 client with the sandbox which is used in v4.0 eclipse client before, it has the Workshop Project and files.

Then I can use v4.0.3 eclipse client to launch jetty server with v4.0.3 server. Is that the same as your configuration way? 

However, there is still a problem. Even I can launch jetty server successfully, but I need to launch another eclipse client called "[RTCExt] RTC Eclipse Client" for debugging, while this version of eclipse is v4.0... :(   Is that right with yours?

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 09 '13, 5:02 a.m.

If you follow step by step the pdf documentation (expected for files exported from the 4.0.0 server which are stored on your workspace) you should have no problem

Kenery Wang commented Aug 09 '13, 5:17 a.m.

Ya, I mean all the files is run well.

Only one step is a bit stranger for me that launches another eclipse client for jetty server (port:7443 that one) is based on version v4.0.
Which means I need keeping two different versions of eclipse clients on my computer, it seems not avoidable...
Have you launched another eclipse client for debugging on jetty server?

Anyway, Really appreciate about all your help. 

Mathieu Defianas commented Aug 09 '13, 5:25 a.m.

I am not used this option sorry

showing 5 of 14 show 9 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.