It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Export a ProjectArea from one RTC server and can be imported to another RTC server?

Soham Deb Maiti (26169) | asked Aug 07 '13, 4:17 a.m.
edited Aug 07 '13, 4:19 a.m.
Suppose RTC_A server has PRJ_A. PRJ_A is associated with lots of workitems, plans, iterations, team members. Now this PRJ_A needs to be replicated(or cloned) in another server RTC_B with all its associations. How can I achieve that?

case 1)Is there any export facility available for "project area" in RTC server? As well as the import facility so that Full project can be replicated?
case 2)Is there any option to keep to projects in different servers can be in sync? For example PRJ_A in RTC_A is in sync with PRJ_A in RTC_B server. Any changes in RTC_A for PRJ_A will trigger the changes in RTC_B server. May be by using OSLS? But need the complete steps to follow.

Note : For RTC Jazz Team Server 4.0.3 M3 is referred.

Comments
Indradri Basu commented Aug 07 '13, 8:09 a.m.

Why would you want to maintain a cloned project area with redundant data anyway ? What are the objectives ? If you can explain what you want to achieve then you might get better answers or alternate ways to achieve something similar.

Soham Deb Maiti commented Aug 07 '13, 8:20 a.m.

@Indradri Basu : The objective is to clone the projects into different server. Because RTC_A where all the project areas created is a test server and evaluation version. But these project data are real. Now we need to copy(or clone) these data to another server RTC_B which is a new production serve. These data needs to be cloned the RTC_B as we cant spend several moths to copy that data manually from RTC_A.

sam detweiler commented Aug 07 '13, 8:23 a.m.

unfortunately there is no support for what you want to do.

in my prior job we built our own tool, that did '90% of the work, but there were still manual tasks. keeping dates/times on history is really really hard.

Soham Deb Maiti commented Aug 07 '13, 8:42 a.m.

@sam detweiler: Thank you for your reply. Could you please provide me bit more details about the tool? Have you implemented this using OSLC? Is there any help page/document available in internet so that it can be followed to build the tool.

sam detweiler commented Aug 07 '13, 8:47 a.m.

I do not work for IBM. Unfortunately I am not able to discuss the tool my prior company built. It was built on top of the openSource ETL tool Pentaho, http://www.pentaho.com/
it did not use OSLC interfaces as they are not up to the data movement challenge.

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Aug 07 '13, 4:54 a.m.
edited Aug 07 '13, 5:03 a.m.
Hi Soham,
Unfortunately there is no option to move project areas between different repositories. You can move only export/import work items and plans.

By the way, is there any particular reason, that you use milestone version of RTC? RTC 4.0.3 has been already released. You can download it from here: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0.3

Best regards,
Krzysztof Kazmierczyk

Comments
Soham Deb Maiti commented Aug 07 '13, 7:22 a.m.

Hi Krzysztof Kazmierczyk,
                         Thank you very much for your answeer.

If i use only export/import options for work items and plans then how the project area can be replicated? For Work items when its exported from RTC_A and imported to RTC_B server then these two work items will be identical? I Think some fields gets altered.
Best Regards-
Soham Maiti

sam detweiler commented Aug 07 '13, 7:37 a.m.

all the workitem numbers will change. All the links will be broken (as the target is different)
attachments do not move.
plans are not exportable, only workitems.
project timelines, iterations, teams, team members, releases, categories are all not exportable.

you will have to redo all that manually.

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Aug 07 '13, 8:16 a.m.

Hi Soham,

Sam is correct here.

Anyway can you let us know what is the reason you are trying to clone single project area? Are you preparing test environment? If yes, you can use server rename feature: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_redeploy_server.html. You should use "Moving an existing production deployment" scenario.

Let me know if it helps for you.

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Aug 07 '13, 8:21 a.m.
edited Aug 07 '13, 8:22 a.m.
I believe you can clone the entire repository, perform a server rename on the new server, and archive the unneeded projects on the new server. That would give you a de-facto clone project capability (albeit a bit tedious one, also there are some support limitations, like, only one of the two servers can be ever used for production).

I believe there is an enhancement that covers moving project areas from one server to another, but at the moment jazz.net search does not work for me, I will try to find it when it does.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.