It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing a category for a custom work item

Sean Burke (3789136235) | asked Aug 01 '13, 8:50 p.m.
edited Aug 01 '13, 8:57 p.m.

A custom workitem type was created with the same category as workitem type "defects" by mistake.  So it uses the same workflow as defects.  How do I separate this or decouple this so I have can change each workflow separately?  As of now it looks like there is no way to change the category this work item.  I would like to change the category so it is not the same as defect so as to not have to use the same workflow.  Can I do this?

The problems is I want to not make this field against field manditory but I can change it becuase it is hardwired into the template.

2 answers

permanent link
abhishek patti (9134) | answered Aug 05 '13, 3:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 05 '13, 3:39 p.m.
From what I understood from your post is
 1) Since by mistake you selected Type Category = "Existing Category"  for your new work item type, now its sharing same defect workflow and attributes. If you do not want to share the defect workflow then a good solution would be creating a new work flow and using it for your new work item type.

2) If you want to remove "Field Against" attribute has an mandatory attribute.

Disadvantage of doing this is, since your sharing " Type Defect Category " any changes you make will affect your new work item and defect work item type also .

If your ok with above dis advantage then follow the below solution

Editing Precondition "Required Attributes For Type and State"  for all work item types that use default category ("com.ibm.team.workitem.workitemType")

Under Preconditions - Select Required Attributes For Type and State

Then select parent node "com.ibm.team.workitem.workitemType" under Category and Type window  and click edit, uncheck "Field Against " attribute

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 01 '13, 9:06 p.m.
edited Aug 01 '13, 9:06 p.m.
you 'might' be able to edit the XML to correct this problem, but there is no way to do it thru the standard editor UI
as an example here is what 'task' looks like in the source

<code>
                <type category="com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType.task" icon="processattachment:/workitemtype/task.gif" id="task" name="Task">
                    <alias name="work item"/>
                    <alias name="workitem"/>
                    <alias name="item"/>
                </type>
</code>

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.