It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Clone a Role

Chris Barlock (18814337) | asked Aug 01 '13, 10:43 a.m.
Is it possible to clone a role in RTC 4?  I'm after a role like Team Member, without the ability to deliver code (a read-only team member).  I suppose I could write down all the permissions Team Member has an start from scratch with a new role, but thought I'd check on the cloning thing first.  Didn't see that option in the Process Configuration for Roles.

Chris

4 answers

permanent link
Chris Barlock (18814337) | answered Aug 01 '13, 2:02 p.m.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I created a role manually and gave it the same permissions as Team Member, minus the ability to deliver code changes.  I'll open an RFE.

Chris

permanent link
John Carolan (71616) | answered Aug 01 '13, 12:22 p.m.
Just a note - you may have to submit an RFE as recommend by Krzysztof if that workaround doesn't fulfill all your requirements of a cloned role.  It will allow you to assign the cloned role to a user in the project area, but additional functionality or visibility may not be available.

permanent link
John Carolan (71616) | answered Aug 01 '13, 12:10 p.m.
Hi Chris,

One way to do this might be to copy the XML code for an existing role in the "Process Configuration Source' tab.
For example, if I wanted to copy an existing role called 'Stakeholder' to be a new role called  'Cloned Stakeholder':

In the <role-definitions> ... </role-definitions> section of the 'Process Configuration Source', copy the exiting definition where name="Stakeholder" - for example, copying this line:

<role-definition cardinality="many" description="This role represents interest groups whose needs must be satisfied by the project. It is a role that may be played by anyone who is (or potentially will be) materially affected by the outcome of the project." name="Stakeholder" role-id="stakeholder"/>

and edit the copied code so that it has a different "name" and "role-id", for example:

<role-definition cardinality="many" description="Your description here" name="Cloned Stakeholder" role-id="cloned_stakeholder"/>

Then make a copy the XML definition for the original role-id in the <team-configuration><permissions>...</permissions></team-configuration> section, everything between:

<role id="stakeholder">
  </role>

inclusively, and change the copied role-id value to match the new role-definition, for example:

<role id="cloned_stakeholder">
  </role>

Then save that XML code.  This worked well for me in 4.0.3.   This kind of manual work is really error prone - so it's a good idea to save the XML before you start - and test this thoroughly before trying it in production.

I hope that helps,

John

permanent link
Krzysztof Ka┼║mierczyk (7.4k35499) | answered Aug 01 '13, 11:04 a.m.
Hello Chris,
Unfortunately there is no such feature in RTC 4. You can create new enhancement on jazz.net for that: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational Team Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem&type=enhancement

Best regards,
Krzysztof Kazmierczyk

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.