It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Clone a Role

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Aug 01 '13, 10:43 a.m.
Is it possible to clone a role in RTC 4?  I'm after a role like Team Member, without the ability to deliver code (a read-only team member).  I suppose I could write down all the permissions Team Member has an start from scratch with a new role, but thought I'd check on the cloning thing first.  Didn't see that option in the Process Configuration for Roles.

Chris

4 answers

permanent link
John Carolan (71616) | answered Aug 01 '13, 12:10 p.m.
Hi Chris,

One way to do this might be to copy the XML code for an existing role in the "Process Configuration Source' tab.
For example, if I wanted to copy an existing role called 'Stakeholder' to be a new role called  'Cloned Stakeholder':

In the <role-definitions> ... </role-definitions> section of the 'Process Configuration Source', copy the exiting definition where name="Stakeholder" - for example, copying this line:

<role-definition cardinality="many" description="This role represents interest groups whose needs must be satisfied by the project. It is a role that may be played by anyone who is (or potentially will be) materially affected by the outcome of the project." name="Stakeholder" role-id="stakeholder"/>

and edit the copied code so that it has a different "name" and "role-id", for example:

<role-definition cardinality="many" description="Your description here" name="Cloned Stakeholder" role-id="cloned_stakeholder"/>

Then make a copy the XML definition for the original role-id in the <team-configuration><permissions>...</permissions></team-configuration> section, everything between:

<role id="stakeholder">
  </role>

inclusively, and change the copied role-id value to match the new role-definition, for example:

<role id="cloned_stakeholder">
  </role>

Then save that XML code.  This worked well for me in 4.0.3.   This kind of manual work is really error prone - so it's a good idea to save the XML before you start - and test this thoroughly before trying it in production.

I hope that helps,

John

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Aug 01 '13, 11:04 a.m.
Hello Chris,
Unfortunately there is no such feature in RTC 4. You can create new enhancement on jazz.net for that: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational Team Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem&type=enhancement

Best regards,
Krzysztof Kazmierczyk

permanent link
John Carolan (71616) | answered Aug 01 '13, 12:22 p.m.
Just a note - you may have to submit an RFE as recommend by Krzysztof if that workaround doesn't fulfill all your requirements of a cloned role.  It will allow you to assign the cloned role to a user in the project area, but additional functionality or visibility may not be available.

permanent link
Chris Barlock (18814738) | answered Aug 01 '13, 2:02 p.m.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I created a role manually and gave it the same permissions as Team Member, minus the ability to deliver code changes.  I'll open an RFE.

Chris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.