It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Enforcing deliver of WI change set to particular stream

Paul Grayem (21810) | asked Jul 30 '13, 4:40 a.m.
 We have two normal steams dev and formal. 

Dev is where coders carry out there daily code changes etc. once a delivery is due the dev steam is flowed into the formal stream and a seperate team carry out the delivery and associated documentation

In some instances a snag may be raised whereby we have to enter a parallel development phase off the dev stream.

Mainstream work will still be carried out on the dev stream, and further fixed iterations of the delivery will be produced by working in the fix stream. Once the fix cycle has ended this will be flowed back into the dev stream  

My question is due to parallel development taking place and the fact the same coder possibly working on both stream (and within there own different repository workspaces) is there any way to enforce the destination of a changeset via the work item or other instead of a one liner in the work item stating which stream the work is destined for?

Regards 

Paul Grayem

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 30 '13, 4:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Paul,

I think you would have to create a custom advisor for the deliver operation similar to https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/restrict-delivery-of-changesets-to-workitem-types-advisordelivery-of-changesets-associated-to-wrong-work-item-types-advisor/ .

The trouble is, how do you want to control where the change is supposed to go? You need some information to do that and the change set can't know this by itself. You could probably use a attribute of type Item and set that to a stream or component and check the deliver target is matching, however, I don't think this is an easy task and it will add a lot of overhead. You will have to make that attribute mandatory, you will get issues, if someone sets the wrong stream etc. You will also have to always require a work item associated.

Just some thoughts.

Comments
Paul Grayem commented Jul 30 '13, 5:25 a.m. | edited Jul 30 '13, 9:18 a.m.

our process stipulates that a changeset cannot be delivered without a work item and the work item contains our review process which must be complete before delivery.

I agree that the work item will have to house the target stream for the changeset but is there a way to extract an available stream for that project instead of creating a new enumeration type with for the stream that doesn't relate in any way to the actual streams?

It's the actual delivery process I'm bothered about to the stream and this is only carried out by a few select people, ie. moderators

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.