It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work Item Template

vishnudharan manivannan (1183542) | asked Jul 26 '13, 1:02 a.m.
retagged Oct 06 '17, 3:48 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hi,

I am trying to create a story work item template and having some trouble.

I created a story and populated with some attribute fields(Planned for product backlog, Filed against scrum team and Description).

Now I was able to create the work template from this work item.

However when I create a new Story from this work item template, it automatically saves & creates the work item.

Is this a normal behaviour in RTC 4.0 or am i missing something here ?

Because that shouldn't be the case, the work item should be created only after I save it.

Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Jul 26 '13, 3:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
yes this is expected and designed behavior. 

let me try to explain taking a example of a template which has multiple work items which are further related to each other.  in fact such a scenario exists and our clients use it to create 100s of items using templates. 

so if the creation completed without performing save, you would be left hunting for all these items and performing a manual save on each of these..

more over, without having saved atleast one, relation to other work item is not possible to conceive/create. 

in your case where there is only one work item involved, I would approach with a set of default values instead of a template.  if you have a requirement which does not get covered with default values or gets difficult to manage with default values, that is when you could probably look at a template.

hope this helps ...
vishnudharan manivannan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
vishnudharan manivannan commented Jul 26 '13, 5:06 a.m.

Superb Dinesh ! Got it ! But I do have another question for you if you dont mind. Is there a way I can create work items from templates in plans ?

Example : I have a story and I want to create a child work item from a template in the plan itself. Is it possible ? as of now I only see create work item as an option.

vishnudharan manivannan commented Jul 26 '13, 5:18 a.m.

I am actually able to see it in the eclipse client. I have a plan and when I right click on a user I have 2 options

1.Create work item

2. Create work item from template.

Is same available in Web UI ?

One other answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Jul 26 '13, 5:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
on the web, you can use the template from the Work Items menu > Under Create Work item Set section > Create from Template...

from plan web ui view, it is not available:

web ui creating work items:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_creating_work_items_from_template_web.html

eclipse client creating work items:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.workitem.doc/topics/t_additional_ways_create_items.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.