It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

story progress bar status

Norman Dignard (356688167) | asked Jul 25 '13, 6:13 p.m.

RTC 4.0.3

We setup a agile project and created a bunch of stories for the developers. 

We noted some odd behaviors and are wondering if this is normal.

If a story has a child task linked to it, and no points are assigned to the story, the progress bar shows status based on the estimate/effort defined on the child task.

If you assign points to that same story, the progress bar clears showing no progress.

Is this normal/expected behavior?

We're new to agile so we're going through a lit of a learning curve.

One answer

permanent link
Dr. Hans-Joachim Pross (1.1k4458) | answered Jul 26 '13, 5:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm not sure if I understood correct but nevertheless will try an answer.

In scrum or agile projects story points are credited with zero until a story is finished and all, when it is finished. There are no partial credits when some or all of the child task are finished.
A good practice is to have not to big stories because the product owner would not see any progress in story points until that big story is finished, although baybe 90% of the child tasks are ready. Better to split stories into smaller ones because than you could see progress.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Jul 26 '13, 9:18 a.m.

I was questioning the behavior of the status bar.  If the story has 0 points assigned and has linked tasks, it shows progress. If you then assign a point value to the same story, the progress bar shows no progress.

Ratheesh Madathil commented Apr 24 '14, 4:36 a.m.

Did you in the mean time recieved any answer for this through any other channel?

Currently we also have this question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.