It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC: Mandate Artifact Information (Attributes and template)

Chris Hardy (3651619) | asked Jul 25 '13, 12:56 p.m.
Is it possible the make certain attributes of an artifact mandatory for a user to complete when creating an artifact?

Also if a template is used for an artifact is it possible for the structure of the template to be mandated so that the users can not remove sections of the template only add information to them?

2 answers

permanent link
Keith Collyer (456511) | answered Jul 26 '13, 4:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When I was a DOORS consultant I got asked this question reasonably often. In DOORS, it is possible to do this through triggers. However, in practice it is rarely anywhere near as useful as people think it is. There are a surprising number of cases where people need to create an entry but simply do not have all the "mandatory" information at the time of creation, so there is a risk that nothing gets entered, rather than just something incomplete. And then if you do force people to enter a value, how do you know it is valid and not just something they put in to satisfy the condition? For example, entering "asdf" into a text field or just picking a random value from a list.
So, in general, this is nowhere near as good an idea as it at first seems. It is prone to significant abuse. Better to have a process in place that ensures that requirements cannot pass review without valid (and validated) values.

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Jul 25 '13, 4:15 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Chris,

While it was possible in RRC 2.x to indicate that an attribute was mandatory, that feature does not currently exist in the 3.x and 4.x versions of RRC.

And I do not know of any way to restrict artifacts created from a template as you describe.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.