It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to add a prefix to the ID attribute ?

Cédric Mabileau (3847) | asked Jul 25 '13, 4:05 a.m.

Hello,

When i create an artefact the ID attribute is added automatically, i'm ok with the fact that the ID is incremented by the application and we cannot change it, but i would like to add a prefix to the number (362 would become URS-362).

Is it possible with RRC ? How about RQM and RTC ? I am using CLM 4.0.3

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Cédric Mabileau.

Comments
Alastair Beadle commented Jul 25 '13, 7:47 a.m.

This is a bit of an aside but:
Another problem you may find with using the ID attribute is that it appears to be a database ID (i.e. it increments each time you create a new artifact, whatever the type and wherever it is, even in another project) - unlike DOORS where each module starts again from ID 1. So if you make it user visible then your user will see large gaps between them (where is requirement URS-362 - it does not exist because ID 362 was used in another project) and eventually getting very large (by project number 10 you may be talking about USR-362192).
Ali

2 answers

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Jul 25 '13, 4:25 a.m.
edited Jul 25 '13, 4:46 a.m.
Sorry, I don't think it's possible. For one thing, the ID is a numerical attribute, and adding "URS" to it is not an option.

Can you explain what your use case is? What do you want to accomplish by changing the ID? Perhaps it would be sufficient for you to create a "Custom ID" attribute with the value that you expect? You could calculate this value automatically from the ID and add anything as a prefix.

Comments
Cédric Mabileau commented Jul 25 '13, 6:31 a.m.

Yes, a Custom ID would work, but how do i create calculated attribute on RRC without DXL ?

Piotr Aniola commented Jul 25 '13, 7:19 a.m.

Sorry, I don't know, I was mainly talking about RTC

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Jul 30 '13, 5:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RRC, you can define different artifact types; e.g., you can define types for "User Requirement", "System Requirement", etc.  Any display of requirements can include the artifact type as well as the ID (you can also assign different icons to the different artifact types).  So it's not necessary to prefix each artifact ID to identify the type of artifact (see picture below). 

That being said, does that meet your needs, or do you still want a prefix? 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.