It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Predecessor Link in WorkItem Link section

Katrin Heymann (19824363) | asked Jul 24 '13, 2:50 a.m.
We used the scrum template and default link types in the WorkItem section does not contain the Predecessor Link Type. It's possible to add Predecessor links in the plan view and then these links are shown in the WorkItem Links section.

I found the following article:
https://jazz.net/library/article/1277/
and selected "Predecessor" but it was not shown in the WorkItem Links section.

Does anyone have an idea how to add these Link type in the WorkItem Link section ?

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 24 '13, 3:41 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi, Katrin.

Can you tell us some more about your environment? What version of RTC are you using? Are you trying to work with the Eclipse or Web client (the link you provide talks explicitly about the Eclipse client). A Predecessor link would be created by "Add Depends On..." and identifying the predecessor work item.

Using a 4.0.3 system, I found the list of links available to be the same from Plans and Work Items. The text used was slightly different, but the Blocks/Depends On predecessor/successor links were there in all cases. Did I miss a case?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Katrin Heymann (19824363) | answered Aug 19 '13, 7:40 a.m.
Added Defect:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=276187
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 25 '13, 3:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Kathrin, I have briefly tried what you did with 4.0.3 and I don't see the link either. It must have something to do with a special setting in the formal project managing template's process settings. You can try to look at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.platform.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_customize_template_formal_features.html if that gives you any indicator on the difference.

Otherwise file a defect or enhancement.

Please also be aware, that the successor/predecessor relationship is not at all used in the agile scheduler used by all processes other than the formal one.

permanent link
IBM Rational Product User (23316) | answered Apr 06 '17, 6:16 a.m.

Hello,

successor/predecessor relationship is not available in Scrum Template of RTC. As mentioned, I tried creating same relationship by using Depends on and Blocks relationship of scrum template. But, when it comes to auto schedule of workitems in planning (roadmap view), RTC is not able to understand the dependency. We have Story 1 which has two child tasks. Task 1 with Id 1003 and Task 2 with id 1005. Task 1 has depends on link to Task 2. When I create a sprint plan and go to roadmap view, it shows Task 1 is planned (Planned start date = Apr 4) before Task 2 (Planned Start date = Apr 10).

How can we resolve this?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 06 '17, 10:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

No it still is not and there is no semantic behind it with respect to calculating the schedule in any template except the formal template. So, even if you had the predecessor relationship, the scheduler would just ignore it.

Please consider to write your own questions instead of posting your question as an answer to a 4 years old question. Thank you!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.