It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Some issues on RTC Windows Explorer configuration

Kenery Wang (6411727) | asked Jul 23 '13, 7:21 a.m.
edited Jul 24 '13, 1:52 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Hi everyone,

I got two problems on using RTC Shell v4.0, list them as below:

1. Comment of Change set can be modified by anyone.

In RTC eclipse client (v4.0), comment of change set only can be modified by the author of change set, while it can be modified by anyone in the pending change view of RTC Shell.
How could avoid this happening, I want to restrict the editing comment permission only to change set author with using RTC Shell at the same time. 

2. Where to configure the work item presentation which will be used by creating work item via RTC Shell?

There are four differents work item editors regarding to different editor presentations respectively.
  • Work Item Editor, the presentation used in the Eclipse client and the web client when displaying a work item in the Editor view
  • Inline Work Item Editor, used in web client to display work item details in a Plan view
  • Lightweight Work Item Creation dialog, used in the web client when creating work items
  • Plan Editor Preview, displayed as a pop-up window in the Eclipse client when the user moves the cursor over a work item in the Plan Editor view
However, It seems work item editor of RTC Shell not one of them.
I got some customized attributes on my customized work item, but their name can't be shown correctly when I use the editor to create work item via right click on a change set which is in pending change view of RTC Shell and then click "Create new work item" link within "Associating with work item" action.
So I was wondering where can I configure this work item editor presentation in RTC Shell.

BTW, I cannot find that where to edit work item editor when working with change set in RTC Eclipse client neither.

If there are any descriptions not clear to understand please let me know, cause I'm not the native speaker in English, it's a bit hard to describe the issues.
Lastly, Thank you for your any responses and help.

Best Regards,
Kenery

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 24 '13, 1:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
WRT question 1, I've just tried this in 4.0.3, and change set comments are protected as expected.   In particular, there is a permission that specifies whether or not you are allowed to modify the comment on someone else's change set.   Since this is enforced on the server, it doesn't matter what client you use to make the change.
Kenery Wang selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Jul 24 '13, 6:08 a.m.

Dear Geoffrey,

Thanks for your response.

So, it seems like RTC Shell will activate the restriction of comment modification in version 4.0.3. I'll try it as soon as possible.

For another issue, do you know if it's possible to configure the work item editor while using RTC Shell client in v4.0.3? And where to? I'm looking forward to hearing the answer from you.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 24 '13, 1:56 p.m.

I haven't tried to configure the Windows Explorer work item editor, so wouldn't be able to help on that question.

General recommendation:  If you have 2 separate questions, it is far better to post them as two separate questions with accurate titles, rather than bundling them together into a topic called "questions about xxx".   Otherwise, situations like this where someone has an answer to one of your questions but not the other results in confusing answer/comment sequence.

Kenery Wang commented Jul 24 '13, 10:38 p.m.

Alright, I will propose another question for second issue in this post.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kenery Wang commented Aug 08 '13, 4:36 a.m.

Although I still can't find where to edit the layout of work item editor shown in RTC Shell v403 client, but thanks for that Geoffrey gave an answer to my first questions.

One other answer

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Jul 23 '13, 9:13 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. There is no permission to restrict editing a comment in pending changes view. I suggest you open up an enhancement for this request.

2. When you are working with change sets and create a new work item, this is using the 'Lightweight work item creation' editor presentation. In the RTC eclipse client, open up the project area and navigate to the Process Configuration.... traverse down the hierarchy to work item editor presentations and ensure you select the appropriate editor presentation from the drop down. Once you update it (and save) attempt to create a new work item from the change set perspective. It should now contain the attributes you want.

Comments
Kenery Wang commented Jul 23 '13, 1:42 p.m. | edited Jul 23 '13, 1:47 p.m.

Dear Stephanie,

Really appreciate about your reply, here I got some doubts need to confirm with you.

1. As you mentioned there is no permission to restrict editing a comment in pending changes view, do you mean it for RTC Shell? Cause I found RTC eclipse client does have this restriction.

2. I've tried to modify 'Lightweight work item creation' editor presentation with it default editor in eclipse client, but there is no effect on the change set work item editor neither in RTC Shell nor in RTC eclipse client. Should I configure a new editor presentation rather than modify the original one?

Stephanie Bagot commented Jul 23 '13, 1:49 p.m. | edited Jul 24 '13, 1:30 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
  1. I am not sure what you mean by RTC shell - this is usually synonymous with eclipse client. I meant that there is no operational behaviour to restrict this configuration at the server level.

2. You need to make sure that the presentation you are editing 'a.b.c.d' is configured in the work item type as the lightweight presentation

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 24 '13, 1:43 a.m.

By "RTC Shell", I'm guessing Kenery means the RTC Windows Explorer client.

Kenery Wang commented Jul 24 '13, 6:02 a.m.

Dear  Stephanie,

1. As Geoffrey said, I just mean RTC Windows Explorer client a.k.a RTC Shell. I guess the comment modification by author is a built-in restriction in RTC eclipse client while RTC Shell doesn't activate it in version 4.0.
2. I cannot understand the description of "editing 'a.b.c.d' is configured in the work item type as the lightweight presentation" totally, but I've attempted to create a new editor presentation for "Lightweight work item creation" using, it has effect on eclipse client whereas RTC shell client  still doesn't.

Lakshmi Narasimhan T V commented Sep 02 '13, 5:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Kenery,
The problem you are seeing with light weight work item editor in RTC Shell could be related to this defect 242142.

Kenery Wang commented Sep 02 '13, 11:57 p.m.

Thanks a lot, Lakshmi.

I'll subscribe this work item for checking the functionality of light weight work item editor.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.