It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

increasing heap size RTC on WAS

Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | asked Jul 19 '13, 6:06 a.m.
edited Jul 19 '13, 6:09 a.m.
Hi,

We installed RTC 402 on iSeries/WAS.

WAS/JTS is consuming 5,5% CPU even when nobody is connected, which seems to be rather high for a process on the iSeries. We especially see a high CPU-load in “RM-Counter-Snapshots-1” (java thread) which seems to be a requirements manager process… (we are not using requirements manager at all).

We're not sure if it is related, but after a few days we saw these kind of messages in the system operator log:
"588028/QEJBSVR/JTS JAVA USED 90% OF THE GC HEAP. USED HEAP SIZE (KB) AND MAX HEAP SIZE(KB):5723421 6291456."

Without touching WAS and/or RTC, this increased to 101% (see attachments).

Any ideas what is happening?

Regards, 
Bernd.

One answer

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Jul 19 '13, 11:13 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Regarding the “RM-Counter-Snapshots-1” java thread, this is part of Requirements Management (RRC) so it would seem that while you may not be using RRC, it is installed and running on the server.
This thread is used to gather JVM stats and runs every 250ms. Last I checked, it is always enabled and the frequency with which it runs was not configurable.

As to the heap issue, I seem to recall there were some issues identified with WAS and Java were memory leaks would occur that might explain the heap usage you're seeing. I'd recommend contacting IBM Support as they will have the latest details on these issues.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.